Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Mended Rail Fence


 One of my projects at the cottage was mending this rail fence quilt that I made in 1976. 


The fabrics were newly purchased especially for this piece.  I've had to replace some of the worn out cottons and I've used mostly velvet to do so.  


Usually I did the work in bed before going to sleep.  I worked with the reading light on my side of the bed.  It was a quiet and nourishing thing for me to do after a busy day.


I grandmothered during the day time.  Sometimes the grandmothering resembled patchwork.


We had a fam-jam on Canada Day. 

The big news for this year is that our oldest took ownership of her great uncle's cottage.  It’s quite near the  main one.    


This quilt was originally made as a wedding gift for my sister, the second quilt I ever made.  I look forward to returning it to her as she celebrates 50 years with her guy.  

1 comment:

Sara-Jane said...

50 years! Amazing. Such a simple design with a stunning effect. Beautiful, as always.

Coincidentally, I've just been debating using red velvet ribbon on a quilt I'm making. You've helped make the decision. :)