Saturday, October 10, 2026

Deschambault-Grondines

typical house in the village of Deschambault, Quebec, Canada

This post is about the visit that Ned and I made last week to a small village on the shores of the St Lawrence river called Deschambault.    We were invited to come before October 4 so that we could see the interior of two of the three historic buildings before they close for the season.     

the moulin a vent de Grondines, built 1674

On the my Process blog, almost all recent posts have been about my work with linen.  This is because throughout August and September I have been researching and gathering ideas for new pieces that use old linen.  I will be sharing my progress on these pieces over the next few months. 

(the old rectory)  le vieux presbytere de Deschambault built 1815 

The Bienniale Internationale du Lin de Portneuf is held every two years.  It is a festival where original, conceptual art works about flax and linen and heritage are showcased.  The variety of art is displayed across the historical sites of the villlages in the community of Deschambault-Grondines, located about a half hour from Quebec City.   

The old mill
  Moulin de la Chevrotiere built in 1802 with an annex built 1766


Twenty artists are invited every two years to create new work that will be installed for the entire summer season outside, around, or inside these historic sites.  2027 will be the twelth biennale, and the dates are June 11 until October 3, 2027.  There is a catalog of the first ten biennales and I was thrilled to find some of my favourtie artists from Europe and Canada included in this Canadian festival over the years. You can purchase the beautiful catalogue that celebrates the first ten biennales (20 years ) on the website.  (here)


I looked at the exterior park-like area and walking trails through tall trees as potential sites for my linen pieces.  These trails go along the creek up to the dam and to the pond.  

I also looked at the interiors of the two historic venues that would be available for my work.

interior of the old mill  

Both interiors were beautiful with thick stone walls that were smoothed with white plaster.  They had lovely windows.  The ceilings are low however, and that will limit the size of my work, which is usually quite large.  

interior of the old rectory
(exhibition of Marie-Charles Nadeau's weaving and photography)

I loved viewing the several exhibitions in the two buildings.  All of them were excellent.  

I was especially impressed by the young Montreal artist, Marie-Charles Nadeau, who wove and dyed ordinary household linen to speak about the past life of early French settlers.  Her photographs of them burning struck me at an emtoional level.  

Marie-Charles Nadeau 
Archives du Temps Passe

Marie-Charles' work showcased the labour and care that go into creating 'ordinary cloth'. 

Her photographs emphasized the poignant fact that eventually cloth, like the human body, is ephemeral.  Her photographs and careful handwoven textiles resonated with me. 

These things are what I also want to also express with my work. 

Marie-Charles Nadeau, Archives du Temps Passe
in the Vieux Presbytyre de Deschambault

I'll write more on this topic as we go through the winter ahead of us.  I'm so proud to be one of the artists invited to show new work in the 2027 edition of the biennale.  I am supposed to ship it to Quebec in early May.  

It is good to know what will be occupying my creative brain and hands over the next months.  

No comments: