Monday, December 11, 2023

Why I haven't written

all my life   
hand stitched cotton quilt with silk self portrait (etching)  made in 1990 by Judy Martin

I think it was because I prepared a presentation to give over zoom on Dec 1, and doing that took most of my reflective brain, leaving me almost empty.  However, I am grateful to have been given a reason and opportunity to consider how my life and work fit together and what my thesis is.  I hope to be able to share those thoughts here soon.  The talk was recorded.  

Otherwise, I've been staring out the window a lot.  I've been re-organizing my bookshelves.  I've been dyeing a little every day with onion skins, sumac leaves or berries.   I've been doing a lot of stitching.

Thank you for reading this blog.  xo

baby quilt in progress for 3 year old grand daughter - all new fabrics , hand pieced.


8 comments:

Liz A said...

you have put into words much of what I'm feeling about blogging of late ... that I'd rather look out the window or take a few stitches, wondering what I might say that would be worth the time to write or to read ... and yet, when I look back I am glad I wrote the posts that I did ... so too am I glad for those days when you have shared your life and art here

Stephanie said...

I'm always grateful to see and read whatever you share. Even small glimpses can shed light and give encouragement to live thoughtfully and creatively.

kat said...

I know exactly what you mean, and perhaps this time of year is more one of reflection than action, but still it is a pleasure to read your works and se your work in progress

Anonymous said...

There is a peace in the not doing.

Nancy said...

Judy,
I think at this point it is safe to say that we women of the blogs have done so for many reasons, for many years...and for many of us, that is shifting in some way, be it seasonal, evolution...whatever. But in reading your words, which read to me in the tone of almost an apology...and I think show me these things...a moment of cloth for a grand daughter, a peek into simmering dye or the view out of your window...for each of these holds as much meaning and value and connection as anything else we may share.
Happy holiday season and new year to you.
May you be filled and contented and well.
xo

jude said...

I get it...

Threadpainter said...

Happy New Year Judy !
I was reading your blog on the way home from North Bay, where we were visiting with 2 of our daughters and 5 grandkids, yesterday. Today, after a long sleep in my own bed, my poor brain has cleared somewhat and I am geared up to enter my little corner of the world.
I think it is very important to 'stare out the window' at this time of year after such a busy (preparing for Thanksgiving, Christmas and family gatherings) year, let alone preparing for shows or new shows ... or new art period.
Organizing art shelves, painting/dyeing fabrics, reading art books (art or otherwise) ... all jumpstart the creative process ... it will come when the brain has sorted it's own boxes. It's an exciting time !
BTW... I love your self-portrait !!

Joanne S said...

Thank You for Writing this blog.....I don't think I have ever commented here- I write a blog that few people read and that I consider more of a Journal. I have gotten ideas and a 'push" to do things from the images on your blog.... even if I don't comment...I come here every day to see what you are doing making or thinking.