Monday, February 21, 2022

I open myself.

new work : hand pieced in 2021, working title Lamentation currently being hand quilted 


Why do I doubt?

This is the real me.  

This is my old self, my toddler self.

That kind of old.

The old that goes back in time, not ahead to wrinkles, but back to when I was new.

I discover that true self when I slow down and stitch.

old work:  a large wool diamond in the square quilt with embroidery 
that I abandoned / worked on over twenty years. 
 I plan to finish quilting this beauty in 2022.

the movement of my hands

the textures beneath the fingers

the weight of cloth, the familiarity, intimacy of touch

all these things give me access

to my own interiority

I stitch this piece in the day time, by the window.

Words too.  

Just by writing these words down

I understand my inner world a little better.

I see myself through these words. 

But see is not the word I seek...

I know myself.

The yellow-green piece is new.  It needs to be hand quilted.    


I hear myself.

My poetic nature hums.

I touch my soul.

Yes

Touch, that's the important sense.

I stitch this piece in the evening time with my husband and our show.  


Strings of words I write.

Threads.

A yarn

and yes, I dream.

I dream walk.

Solitude allows this.

The Bear's Paw quilt I made in 1990 covers our TV couch. 


No one else needs to accompany me on my dream walks.


It would be difficult anyway, 

I flit and fly all over, back and forth, future - past

it would be hard to keep up.


Don't worry about me.

I cherish my window time.


Sometimes, I close my eyes

in order to feel more deeply. 

I retreat into my body while  

flying in a place of no-time.

It's hard to describe.

I give myself up to hand work

and find my self.



Images are of the quilts I've been stitching this past month.


................................................................ 

Thank you for the beautiful response to BLOG  subscriptions.  I have been sending out notifications at the end of each month by email since November.   Please check your promotions or spam folder if you have not received them.    To subscribe, just write BLOG in the subject line and send me an email and thank you for continuing to read this blog.  xo

12 comments:

Tina said...

I love the words, the quilts and watching your work come to life! Thank you for all your inspiration and bringing it to life for me!

Mo Crow said...

(((Judy))) love the calm glow of your words and process

Liz A said...

my mom used to put mashed raspberries in cheesecloth and hang it over a bowl to make a seedless raspberry sauce ... the resulting cheesecloth was the same color as your wool diamond in square quilt ... and the sawtoothed edges and soft gray are the perfect accompaniment ... thank you for triggering that memory

by the way, I have long noticed that you use a large oval hoop and am now considering doing the same as I love to quilt in my lap and am about to tackle my first bed-size cloth ... I'm hoping the local quilt store will have one ... if they do, it's meant to be

Kim Bates said...

Such beautiful stitches and words

Carol Wiebe said...

I understand completely.

ARTISUN said...

Dearest Judy,

Haven't visited in a while, so it was quite a thrill to see all you have been working on. The raspberry quilt is gorgeous and I can't wait to see it finished. Love all the saw-toothed pieces and the magical color combinations. As always your work is incredible. I often wonder when you have time to clean your house, grocery shop, do laundry and all the other household tasks...LOLOL. I'd love to read about how you schedule your time throughout the day and nite. Look forward to hearing back...much love, Deb

Julierose said...

Love your Lamentations--so evocative with those colors...losing oneself in work is a blessing for sure...hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

Blog. Joycarkeek@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Please add me to your blog mailing list Judy.

Anonymous said...

Okay

Dee at The Carlton said...

No one else needs to accompany me on my dream walks.

How very true that is, your work & words are thought provoking. I stitch just to stitch, just because it soothes the spirit & then I blog my modest efforts because it gives a voice not everyone understands.

Your work is truly inspirational ....

Janet said...

BRAVO what incredibly beautiful work.