Saturday, March 05, 2022

It's about love

Art is about relationships even if it appears to be about nature.

Coastal Trip by Paterson Ewen (1925-2002)  acrylic and metallic paint on gouged plywood  1974


I visited the Art Gallery of Ontario last week.  

Paterson Ewen is one of my favourite artists.


Coastal Trip by Paterson Ewen  1974  (each part is about 60 inches)


I respond with my whole body to the rugged materials and strong marks in his unique paintings.

The scale of his work holds us.  

coastal trip detail by Paterson Ewen  acrylic on plywood cut with first with a router 1974
Monotones (Seascape) by Silke Otto-Knapp watercolour on canvas 2016


I took my 7 year old grand daughter with me.  

We only lasted about an hour.

Monotones (seascape) detail by Silke Otto Knapp  

It's hard work, 

looking and thinking

 and climbing all the curvy stairs.


When we got home we made collaborative drawings with ball point pens in my journal.    

highway 17 return home

Our visit with our son and his family was beautiful and I am so very grateful. 
 

4 comments:

SMP said...

How lovely.

Liz A said...

I especially like the sky in the first Paterson Ewan panel ... it has been in these latter days that I notice how often the sky is yellow ... which is to say, how often the sky isn't blue, as his triptych so perfectly conveys

and drawing with a grandchild (or two or more) ... nothing better

Bethany G said...

So glad you had this opportunity and the days with the family - the road home is always a beautiful one, and a time for thinking and remembering...

Judy, you are an amazing grandmother, and sharing your art, time for drawing together and having fun... the passion for the art of others will be a memory for years to come, even for the young ones!
Sending hugs,
Bethany

Grace Martin said...

Wow I love this. Now one of my favourite artists, too