Friday, March 18, 2022

one patch quilts

My hands ache from stitching.
My feet ache from ageing.
My heart aches from continuing on, 
through all the sadness and uncertainty.

I make textiles using just one patch.

(the technique is explained here)

I select one square of cloth and sew it to another one. 

Once I have a field of one patches, I make them stronger by quilting the seams.

The squares are all the same.
The squares are each unique.
Some are organized into rows.
Others appear random, but don't believe it.
They are also organized.
I feel powerless, unable to start the new textile pieces that flood into my brain.

I feel that if I can just finish these two simple cover ups, I can move forward.
I am calling this one Sunshine and more Sunshine

I wonder what is the urgency?

These quilts are not going to fix the war.
I am calling this one Lamentation

They do not protect against the illness.

They do not save beloved children who die.


But they are not a waste of time.

Rather, they are evidence of a time.

A time that we are living through.  

A time that we are grieving through.

All of us.   

Each unique.
Lamentation:  an expression of sorrow, mourning, or regret

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh thanks so much for the linky back to your one patch method!! I just love how yours are coming together--my favorite of them all is Lamentation--just something about it touches me...lovely works hugs, Julierose

Mystic Quilter said...

I too have just visited your one patch method, very interesting indeed and something I should like to try on a small piece first.
The two quilts you show us today are absolutely beautiful, I adore Lamentation!

susan hemann said...

this time is so sad
I find it hard to focus on anything, especially not art

your quilt is incredible, I hope people can appreciate the labor of love it is

Margaret said...

Thank you. It's so easy to feel powerless, impotent in the face of evil and unwarranted aggression (Is aggression ever warranted? I think not...) but yes. The stitch and the stitch and the stitch. Making order out of chaos, comfort out of cloth. Keep on keeping on. May God prosper the work of your hands (Ps. 90)

Bethany G said...

I read your posts with focus and concentration, Judy - not only reading the message and seeing the beauty of the work, but understanding the value of the serious thoughts that are there in your written text. Blessings.
We watch and listen and mourn the loss... our world is crying.

Threadpainter said...

It has been a very trying time the world over ... an unbelievably trying time. Your quilts, our art, won't fix anything but it helps us survive the terror and the grief.
All we can hope is that 'the people' are strong enough to stand in defiance of a monster virus and a vicious, egotistical dictator. When the whole world fights back, we may get to a better spot.

You are using shades of green that I never think to use (well, all greens actually) and they are lovely in these beautiful quilts !
Sharron

Joanna Dermenjian said...

I am researching quilts made by Canadian women and children during WWII. May I quote you in those few lines..."These quilts are not going to fix the war..." I imagine the women of WWII felt the same way as they made quilt after quilt for British civilians.

Anonymous said...

Hi this is Judy Martin. Yes of course you may quote me. Are you writing an essay or a book? Please answer through email. Thank you 🙏