Saturday, April 20, 2024

a language of care


The quilts I make are not clever.

They are not intellectual.


The quilts I make are love stories.

Remember this. 



Remember that quilts are love stories. 


Often, quilts are gifts. 

We sleep with them.

They touch us.

Quilts are a language of care. 


Quilts are not about the things that happen out in the world, 

Quilts help us recover from that world,

Quilts protect us when we sleep and dream.

Quilts also comfort the ones who make them.  

That is the language of care.

Your Fragile Life 

 old damask linen, natural dye, silk batting, silk backing and borders, cotton thread, 

entirely hand stitched, 70 x 68 inches,  2024.      

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Thank you, Judy. I find that knitted items speak the same language of care as quilts. I'm blessed to be able to make both...and more and more I am moving deeply into making items that comfort and care for others.

Anonymous said...

You always share the best "love stories!" I'd love to touch one of your pieces. CJ

Nancy said...

Judy~ I felt myself relaxing into your wards and multitude of stitches as I read. I can feel your caring. Thank you.