Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Yayoi Kusama

Once the Abominable War is Over, Happiness Fills Our Hearts  by Yayoi Kasuma   2010  Acrylic on Canvas  194 x 194 cm
Yayoi Kusama exhibited this past spring at the Art Gallery of Ontario, and although I was in Toronto while the exhibition was up, I did not attend.  For one thing, it was difficult to get tickets, you had to book months ahead for a specific time.  Then towards the end of the exhibition, the art gallery sold timed tickets if people lined up outside before the gallery opened.  Too much hoopla for me - I didn't participate.

Yayoi Kusama 
When we were in London England in 2012 for my graduation exhibition from Middlesex (and the oral exam (the VIVA)) an exhibition of her work at the Tate Modern had just come down.  People told me that I should have gone, I would have loved it.  So I did purchase the catalog for that show.  Last week I finally read it.
Well, her work is very impressive.   I was especially interested in the determination she demonstrated during her early career and wrote a bit about that on my Modernist Aesthetic blog,  

This 89 year old artist is riding the popular culture train  and has touched many hearts with her joyful dots that cover everything.  Lots of books available about her, and she is all over the internet.  Here, here and a video here.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the good and very helpful information. It is very interesting. I love all the things you share and see your beautiful creation. Thank you for sharing with everyone.
เที่ยวเมืองไทยที่ไหนดี

Cris Winters said...

You introduced me to this amazing artist's work in one of your previous posts and I'm so grateful. She and her work are impressive. Thanks for the reminder and the links!

Tina said...

I have looked at her work in awe so many times. Her life is very interesting also-thank you for sharing this colorful post and for highlighting yet another female artist. Her work is amazing

Mo Crow said...

there was an exhibition of Yayoi's Mirrored Years back in 2009 at the MCA here in Sydney, such wonderful magical work!