Monday, July 24, 2017

principles of uncertainty

True communication can happen only in an open space.
 It's good to not know what to say.
 It's good.
End of discussion.
 "Washing dishes is an antidote to confusion."
 Maira Kalman

"The question is, does one need to know?
And what is it you know once you think you know?"  Maira Kalman
 
 " We see trees.  What more do we need"  M.K. 
Most of the text in this post is from The Principles of Uncertainty by Maira Kalman
a book I read each year when I come to the cottage.

7 comments:

Wendy Watson said...

One of the few books I have read more than once.

Ms. said...

Ah...how I love this woman..."And I look at a beautiful bowl of fruit, and I look at a dress that I sewed for friends of mine. And it says, "Ich habe genug," which is a Bach cantata, which I once thought meant "I've had it, I can't take it anymore, give me a break," but I was wrong. It means "I have enough." And that is utterly true. I happen to be alive, end of discussion. Thank you."

Ms. said...

PS
https://www.jacobspillow.org/events/principles-of-uncertainty/

susan hemann said...

what a terrific piece you are working on! Washing dishes has been a spiritual practice of mine since I was a child. It calms my soul. Have a good time at the cottage!

Roxanne said...

Judy,
I believe all of the above. I believe it's okay not to know and that it's okay not know what to say at certain time. Silence has a powerful voice. I believe nature reminds us to breathe and to be humble, but there is nature in everything we do, as well. I believe art and nature save my life every day. I, too, have enough. Thank you, dear friend.

Judy Martin said...

Yes. Yes. Yes.

and thank you to Michelle for the Jacobo's Pillow Link - be sure to copy and paste. It is a dance performance based on Maira Kalman's the Principles of Uncertainty.

xo

Mo Crow said...

as my old friend Pete (plant shaman extraordinaire who moved to Brazil to save the rainforest back in the 70's and is still there) said so long ago-
"Spirit likes to see us dance on the shifting sands of change”