Saturday, April 10, 2010

cut-ups

I had to make photo collages of my exhibition idea for the degree work I'm doing in the UK. I procrastinated forever, but it was a valuable exercise. The best one was of the Halcrow house from the front with ten blue quilts flapping. To get the quilts to the correct scale for the house, I cut up 4" x 6" photos of my indigo fabrics that I'd pinned in arrangements. Put things sideways. Cropped things drastically. Now I see new quilt designs. Simple and minimalist. photo collage across two pieces of 18 x 24 drawing paper

5 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

i think it is just awesome great effect!

Gina said...

The collage looks really exciting Judy.

Jeana Marie said...

I really enjoy using collage in my sketchbook/journal to help me work out ideas (they are usually much more basic than these - but so helpful). I think it's fascinating, how the cropping and cutting can bring newness to light. An installation as you've portrayed would be incredible, such beauty, Judy!

J said...

I like this. Surreal

jennlui said...

love this so much!