I make very simple, large constructed textiles. All my work is hand stitched, a slow method that gives me solace as well as a place where I can gain perspective in these worrisome times.
I will make an installation that pays homage to the beauty of damask. I will highlight the special quality of this type of heirloom linen fabric that becomes more beautiful as it ages.
Re-reading this proposal is making me have second thoughts about covering the old fabric. I read Celia Pam’s book on mending yesterday and she said that she wants to show the story of the textile when she mends it and doesn’t cover everything old with new.
I don’t know and I should not be expected to know at this early stage.
So, instead of covering everything with different cloth, maybe I should just mend what is broken, and allow the un-broken softness continue on.


No comments:
Post a Comment