Saturday, December 10, 2022

aesthetic pleasure

 
I have been procrastinating about writing anything this month.    


I will share some photos 

of the layers of linen and wool and sheer that I have been stitching with black and red thread.


It seemed so urgent that I stitch every day.

I thought I might get this one finished.   I told myself that finishing it was why I was stitching so much.

But that was not true.  

I was stitching so much because I was letting my own hands do what they do so well. 

My hands take care of me.


These past weeks, I read essays by women in old magazines and attended panel discussions on Zoom.

I went into my town studio a lot, and came home by the back roads, 

because the trees and ditches take care of me too.


In the essays,  I kept coming across words like care and nurture and support and retreat


The water in the lake is beginning to freeze.  

Can you can see the misty fairy hair?.


Aesthetic pleasure is important now, not just for its own sake, but to revive us, to give us the wherewithal to fight another day    Aruna d'Souza             Canadian Art winter 2019


This piece is called Inner World. 

I'm finishing it up for an exhibition next spring.  All the work in the exhibition is two-sided.  

Most of the pieces are made by stitching first on one side and then another, 

and when they are displayed,  the 'other' or the inner side faces outwards.   

Inner World


Art has begun to feel not like a respite or an escape, but a formidable tool for gaining perspective on troubled times.                       Olivia Laing         The Guardian     April 2020


Stitching helps me because, for the several hours each day that I spend stitching, 

real time is stopped.  

The whirl of it.  The fear of it.

Making my art is like being in a zone of enchantment.
  

Whatever brings the consciousness into a state of pure attention, in a time of perplexity, will also give back an answer to the perplexity.          D.H. Lawrence  1928

The stars.

The sky and the stars.



In current climates, the act of taking time out of our day to make, time to look after yourself, time to be with loved ones, is important.  Modern quilting is all about time.  The moments we share with one another and the processes we choose to adopt to take care of ourselves.                                                    Julius Arthur           Embroidery Magazine      July/August 2021


There's a lot going on with my kids these days.  

Inner World

The title of the exhibition is Inside Out.  

Mark making is a way to make an effect on our own world.                                                          Margaux Williamson             Canadian Art     Winter 2019 




Art is an articulation of resilience.                                                                                                      People create art through war and pandemics and hardship and the work lives on for hundreds of years.                                                                    Tatum Dooley  The Guardian     April 2020                 

7 comments:

Mo Crow said...

(((Judy))) thank you for sharing this beautiful deep hearted work in words and photographs, you are such a shining light in these troubled times

Bethany G said...

Following the path - the road to peace and simply quiet, watching, learning, sharing time with nature and the landscapes that speak. A time for personal growth and yes, possibly procrastinating a bit - a wise and harmonious move to your making. So beautiful - and thank you for the quotes - mean so much!

Nancy said...

Judy~ I always know when I come here that I will beauty in your stitches, the quotes you choose and the way you connect the two. This post is especially wonderful and touching. I can't quite find the words I want, but know that I am grateful you decided to share. xo

Margaret said...

I get such peace from your words and photos, your dedication to stitch. I may not read all of your posts, but whenever I do, I find assurance. Thank you.

Montse Llamas said...

I want to thank you once again for taking the time to share your art and your wise words with us one year more. XO

Ulrike said...

Thank you for posting your work, I find it so calming. Wishing you all the best for the new year. xx

Linda said...

Thank you Judy for sharing the images of your beautiful work as well as thoughts and feelings of your life experiences. I also find your words soothing and calming. Quotes also very insightful!