Saturday, June 06, 2020

Gee's Bend Quilts

Strips by Annie May Young, 1975   corduroy, 95 x 105 inches
 Annie May Young
Medallion by Annie May Young 1976  work clothes  108 x 77 
This group of astonishing quilts may be the most important influence on improvisational contemporary quiltmaking ever.
Strips by Annie May Young 1975  corduroy, 101 x 66 inches
At this time in history where there is revolutionary hope for black American's, I want to pay respect to the makers of these inspiring works of art.
I've been very influenced by these strong women artists.
I continue to be influenced and I'm not the only one.
It's time to thank them.
This post and the ones I am making on instagram are because I want to amplify their voices.
Four Block by Loretta Pettway 1960 used men's clothing 78 x 73 inches
 Loretta Pettway
Brick Layer by Loretta Pettway 1970  denim 84 x 66 inches
There is so much flair in the bold geometrics.
I  love that these quilts are made from men's and women's work clothes
house dresses, cotton sacks, and scraps of corduroy left over from the Freedom Quilting Bee.
String Quilt by Loretta Pettway 1960  used men's clothing 94 x 76 inches
There are so many questions now in this most strange and frightening time.
The pandemic has not stopped.  The world is broken.
The systemic illness of global racism is finally being addressed.

How can the world be truly fixed?  Is it possible?
This is a time for all of us to think boldly.
This is an oportunity to re-imagine.
Where do we begin?
Medallion by Lorraine Pettway 1974  work clothes 1974 
Lorraine Pettway

I've given links to the makers in this post, but they all go to the same website.  Souls Grown Deep
This last link takes you to a description of the purpose of the foundation, which in a few words is to support and advocate for the African American artists from the southern parts of the USA.   This organization is the caregiver of the Gee's Bend Quilts and welcomes donations.  I've donated and I encourage you to as well.  Here is a direct link to donate.  It's something.  I thank the many who are protesting and being so brave.  I have some hope.

I'm also putting a link here to the Strategist  that provides ways to dontate to support black lives, the victims, and the activists.
 
"The choice of not paying attention has led to death in others."  Rev Lucas Johnson

 It's hard, but people are ready for this now.  The world has to change."

7 comments:

marfab said...

Great contribution

רזיה בן גוריון said...

i admire gee's bend quilts from long ago, thank you for putting them in the spotlight.thank you very much.

Kim Bates said...

Thank you for all the wonderful resources! I will be sharing with friends in hopes to bring about much needed change.

Liz A said...

last year we went to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond, Virginia after our family week at the beach ... there was an exhibit of Gee's Bend quilts and somehow I never posted about it, but it was like walking into a sacred space ... literally took my breath away and left me with tears in my eyes ... much as I felt standing in front of your quilt at the Houston quilt show several years ago
https://imgoingtotexas.blogspot.com/2017/11/tipping-point.html

Bethany G said...

I will always remember when these lovely ladies were in London ON for a show of their work, and while it was many years ago,their joy and enthusiasm as they shared their classes with us was like being in a holy place - songs that inspired as they stitched, the trips to the Goodwill for all of the cloth they insisted we use, and talking with them one on one. Thanks for this Judy... great memories.
It is time that the world understands that we are ONE in God's eyes and all deserve the same rights, definitely freedom from oppression and days that bring us each joy in making art in our own way as a gift to the world.

Jan Morrison said...

I have just found you - taking a very meandering route, by way of finding Claire Wellesley-Smith. I went to your post on slow-stitching and thought "yep, kindred spirits " and so tapped your home button to find Gees Bend. This has been an ongoing auspicious coincidence since I started furthering my reading and watching of textile artists. I'm not one - or would not Grace myself with that title. I'm nearing 70 and recently finished my second quilt (well...the first one was tufted); both done completely by hand. I'm working on my third one - an improv quilt, but this time with my ancient and underserviced Singer. My handwork, drawing, sewing dolls, drawing,knitting, and so on, is relegated to inbetween times, as my main practices are writing and meditation. Two days ago I got tired of fighting my machine and started a piece of sashiko - of the very rough, unrefined sort. I'm in love! It is deeply satisfying and suits my general anarchistic response to rules and rulers. Enough rambling - thank you for the generous sharing of your process. And thank you for reminding your readers of the profound artistry of a group of women who refuse to be anybody but themselves.

Mystic Quilter said...

I adore the Gee's Bend quilts and have the book sitting on the table by my chair presently.