Wednesday, June 17, 2020

creativity and confusion

This post consists of photos of my work and life during the last few confusing weeks.
Creativity has returned for me and I am grateful for time spent with new work.
I have several new starts, and if they were all pinned up side by side, I think we would see that I am following a new direction.  I don't quite understand it yet, but you know,  that's OK.
I just want to get this work out of me.
Although it makes me calm to do it, I am also in a kind of panic.
Our two youngest daughters are with us.
April has been here since the beginning of April and Grace arrived on June 4.
 I've been going into my town studio since June 1 - every week day.
 
When I'm there I use the large work table to support a piece I'm working on that is based on three old blankets.  It's immense, and each day's stitching is only a tiny mote.
Sometimes I listen to the podcast Sandy and Nora talk politics while stitching. 
 Just as often, I enjoy quiet.
I won't lie.
This pandemic time and this white fragility time  are very confusing and very heavy.
"There is no such thing as good painting about nothing." Mark Rothko
Take care of each other my friends.

3 comments:

Mo Crow said...

(((Judy))) so good to see these new works in process and your peaceful corner of the world!

Camilla G. said...

Your reflections are so helpful always. Thank you for sharing them with us. x

Helen said...

I love the photos you post. Such a fresh way to look at things. :)