Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Manitoulin

My home is in an unspoiled rural environment.
There are many cleared farmers' fields.
All of Manitouin Island is part of the Niagra Escarpment.
It's rural.
Large barns are here, and fences.
Cedars, junipers, rocks, fossils, also here.
The landscape that surrounds me is a rich blend of topography and history.
It inspires.
The long views over the water and fields are rhythmic.
The seasons come around again and again.
The light changes hourly.
It's so quiet.
In my work, I aim to develop the properties of the materials themselves.
I'm more interested in the 'idea' of quilts rather than gaining control of techniques.

Cycles of nature, growth, decay, and regeneration are evident around me
and enter into my work.
Connie's house
Journal work helps me.

It helps me sort through layers of intimate secrets,
memories of childhood, family, marriage, mothering,
the peace and complexity of being a wife,
and the coping with death on the horizon
so that they are processed in my work.

Images:  Ned and I went for a drive on Saturday.
Text:  Found in old journal but it still seems relevant.

Have faith dear ones.
to try to understand is to court misunderstanding
Not To Know But To Go On


6 comments:

Linda Heron said...

Beautiful photos.
I feel the contentment that comes from witnessing the turn into a new season. I haven't seen such a lovely split rail fence in a long time and I'm intrigued by the cordwood house. It must be so snug.
Quiet here in the city too - so lovely and good for the spirit.

Liz A said...

A friend from college days went on to get her doctorate, writing her dissertation about the people of Manitoulin, which was later published. I told her about your post, and then it occurred to me that you might be interested in knowing of her work ...
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/island-of-the-anishnaabeg-theresa-s-smith/1103812086

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh Judy what a beautiful post!! You live in a wonderful place, it has a deep spiritual feel I think. Thank you for sharing with us.

Judy Martin said...

Manitoulin is called Spirit Island sometimes xo

Judy Martin said...

Liz, I read this book cover to cover when we first moved here. It was originally published in the early 90's and has since been reprinted in 2012. It is an excellent book and gives good information about the original people and their beliefs. Manitoulin is 50 percent indiginous and I am humbled and moved to live on this island alongside the Anishnaabeg.

Judy Martin said...

Thank you. The spirit is alive here. xo