Saturday, March 02, 2019

Love absolutely

Q   How did you develop your own style and inner voice?
Q   Was there a defining moment for you or was it a gradual process?
A   I think it was a gradual process.  The main thing I did right from the beginning was to choose a subject that I absolutely loved.   It had to be something that I needed to personally communicate, not caring if it would be acceptable in the larger art world.
I started my career with what many would term gendered subjects and gendered techniques.
When I was a young mother, I painted my children in watercolour.  I started stitching when they were young because I could take the work with me to the sand pile or playground and it could be picked up and put down when I was so often interrupted.
I also read anything I could find about women artists and writers and found out that the best were true to themselves, and this inspired me to do the same.  It sounds easy, but to follow an inner voice or dream is actually quite a brave thing to do.
This self-directed study helped me to do my art while at the same time living my so-called normal life of wife and mother.
Once the kids left home, I started the embroidery degree from the UK through Julia Caprara’s school of textile art, OPUS.  My inner voice became even clearer through this directed study and I continue to work from the thesis I developed at that time.
Particularly important are Gaston Bachelard’s writings about inner immensity, Agnes Martin’s writings about paring away the unnecessary, and Ann Hamilton’s ideas about how we arrive at knowing through every sense, especially the sense of touch. 
I’d like to especially thank my tutors from the UK, Catherine Dormor, Kay Swancutt and Joan Richardson.
I do believe that making and exhibiting art is the best way to express our inner selves and communicate heart to heart with others.

6 comments:

Mo Crow said...

beautiful work and words, you are such an inspiration (((Judy)))!

Margaret said...

Just the soul food I need right now. Thank you!

Yvonne said...

I couldn't agree more Margaret. Thank you Judy.

Camilla G. said...

A perfect post to read on my birthday...

Roxanne said...

This is such a comprehensive post. Learning how other artists respond to life as they create has helped me immeasurably. Reading is as much a part of art practice as making. And, participating in other modes of making, like painting, lends a fuller perspective to the stitch.

Mystic Quilter said...

Thank you for sharing your story and your photos of your beautiful handwork.