Tuesday, July 24, 2018

embroidered with flowers and grasses and trees

It was dry while we were away, then rained the day we returned.
Agnes Martin said: 'when your eyes are open you see beauty in anything'
I see beauty in the poplar suckers in the lawn, and in the tangled flower beds
 fairy trees all over
I have experienced beauty before
in nature, in love, in art.

Something unexpected, like returning home to this fairy land,
recalls the inner happiness of those experiences,
those inner perfect moments as Agnes Martin would call them.
I am overwhelmed by some perfect remembered beauty
triggered by this greenness all around me.
I had a wonderful road trip with Ned.
I truly connected with people, deep conversations, lots of small talk.
Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec

my journal entry july 16:
'you should read your own blog and remind yourself about what you think'
 Penny told me last night
I was nearly normal for almost a month

Now back home, I am beginning to feel inspired again
I read a Mary Gaitskill novel
I listen to the National, loving the lyrics
It is hard for me to be close to people and to hear my heart at the same time.
I create ways to keep them at a distance.  mary gaitskill
I took a photo of myself in the clover to show how it is taller than me

standing like a mountain
standing at a door
in the centre, yet on the edge
I walk through the green lushness
and am reminded to stay empty

the future is a blank page
more images of this embroidery here
let me keep my mind on what matters, which is my work
which is mostly standing still and learning to be astonished
Mary Oliver

13 comments:

Mo Crow said...

you live in such a beautiful peaceful place!

Margaret said...

Oh my...there's a piece I could do with the 6th photo (fronds against the horizon/landscape). May I try? May I use the photo to inspire?

And I've looked up Mary Gaitskill and requested one of her titles from the Regional Library. I am hoping that, knowing how we both love Agnes and Penny, that I'll join you to love Mary too. Meanwhile I am reading 'James Herriot''s last one, Every Living Thing. Ahhhh....

Judy Martin said...

yes of course Margaret - you may use the photo. The novel I am reading by mary Gaitskill is Mare: a novel. xo

india flint said...

I haven't dived into the blogosphere for a while. today I did, on impulse...and your words were the first I found. thank you. perfect reading matter for this moment.

Liz A said...

I second Penny's wise words ... there is so much here. And while I am currently journeying through Deb Lacativa's blog, I'm making a mental note to journey through yours next.

Judy Martin said...

Penny made the comment during one of our talks about our work. I so often flip around in my ideas when I speak...and so often I feel that I don't really know anything. Slowing down to write my thoughts down here does help me to know them. Does that make sense? Love you Liz xo

Carol Wiebe said...

I love the way you embroider your blog with beautiful words. You always inspire me, Judy. I think Penny gave you some good advice. Sometimes we are the last to recognize our own wisdom. Much love.

willow woman said...

You bring me back to myself when so often I stray.
I am full again and deeply grateful for your sharing.

Sue McQ said...

Friend, beautiful moments gleaned from your sharings. Do you use a pencil to write the words on the fabric before stitching them?

Judy Martin said...

yes I do. xo

Judy Martin said...

actually, I use red pen Sue. And before I write anything on the cloth, I write it first on paper and then cut the words out individually and pin them in place, so that things are spaced well. xo

Carolina P. said...

So beautiful, Judy! I am stitching text also, it's a way of touching the words and understanding them deeper, not with intellect but with ...the heart? The inner self?
Thank you for the wonderful images and thoughts, and may you have many delicious quiet moments surrounded by all that greenness.

Velma Bolyard said...

i love seeing you in the woods. your words today strike me as completely and totally spot on.