Friday, April 24, 2009

Home

Valley of Avre by Hodler, 1909
We arrived home about four hours ago and are slowly recovering from our most wonderful time in Europe. It was a long time dream of mine to visit Paris during April - and the city lived up to my expectations. All the trees were in flower and the air was warm enough to stay outside late into the evenings. We walked and walked of course - one does that as a tourist - up to Montmartre and along the gravel walkways of the formal city gardens or along the left bank of the Seine.
La Lecture by Manet, 1873
We were there for three full days and of course it wasn't nearly long enough. Much of the time was spent in three major art galleries- the Louvre, the Georges Pompideau Centre and the Musee d'Orsay. These have important collections of the art that I am familiar with in reproduction. It was fantastic to see the originals - Van Gogh's brush strokes are even more powerful when you can see them up close I assure you. I was surprised that visitors to the Louvre and the d'Orsay were allowed to take photos of the work (without flash). Although I had my journal with me and scribbled notes and made sketches, I also took some photos of several pieces that I have not seen before in reproduction. These three are just some of the beautiful work from the d'Orsay collection of Impressionist art work. I think that this is a Renoir, but it might be by Berthe Morisot. I am not sure anymore. It's not on the gallery's website so if anyone can confirm who the artist is of the above painting, I'd appreciate it.

No comments: