Monday, October 27, 2008

Fate and Art

I'm so impressed by Magdalena Abakanowicz's new book about her life and her work. "What a gutsy woman" I thought as I went through the pages that mix her personal life story (which is heart-wrenching) with her ambitious artwork. The book is called Fate and Art Monologue and it is written completely by her. She says on the first page:

Dear Reader
Every writing of history consists of a selection of facts and interpretations of facts. Herodotus already discovered how much the truth depends on personal selection of seen, remembered and approved. I have written it in English. I thought that this would allow me to say what I want while avoiding translation. I needed to write this book for myself in the same way I make my art first of all for myself.
M. Abakanowicz

No comments: