Sunday, October 26, 2008

Julia Caprara

The textile world mourns Julia Caprara , director and principal of Opus School of Textile Arts who passed away Friday morning. When I was considering the degree program at Opus, Julia was the one who answered my questions on the phone and encouraged my enrollment. She was always professional, generous and kind and I regret that I did not get to meet her in person. Many Canadian textile artists have been inspired by her as she and her husband Alex have visited this country several times. Truly exceptional, she will be missed by so many of her students from around the world.

My friend and fellow Opus student Joanne Young informed me of this sad news by email early today and I've not been able to think of much else. Joanne also told me that Julia was able to put together a new book about embroidery and that it is excellent.

My heartfelt condolences to her family.

4 comments:

Lesley Turner said...

Thank you Judy for the confirmation, not that I wanted to hear it. Rumours have been flying around all weekend and like you I haven't been able to settle at anything. What a loss to her family, her hundreds of students, the school and the fibre art world. Lesley

chrissythreads said...

Hi Judy,
Its so sad about Julia. When she and Alex interviewed me for the degree programme. I was so unsure I could do it and she was so supportive and encouraging and has been ever since'
She will be missed by so many, my heart goes out to Alex and her family.

Anonymous said...

I too am on the Opus Degree programme and feel so sad that Julia has lost her battle with such a devastating disease. She was truly inspirational and has been said very encouraging and generous. She will be sadly missed by us all but has left a great legacy of creativity in anyone who has come into contact with her, My thoughts are with Alex and the family at this time. Caroline Hibbs Group I Opus BA programme.

maggie said...

thanks for letting us know, judy. my antennae has been up for the past few weeks...wondering.

julia was a primary reason i took on the opus degree program. she was delightful and encouraging when i sent in my application. and her comments on on my modules always left me feeling great about my work.

when my husband went to iraq for a year, she told me she couldn't imagine being apart from alex for more than a few days.

this is a sad time.