Saturday, August 25, 2007

Painted Rocks

The family made a boat trip to the beautiful painted rocks on Georgian Bay and I was attracted to the circular forms of the lichen and the zig zag formations in the granite.
During August, I have been studying the life and work of Kiki
Smith
, an artist of my own generation who makes compelling
artwork about things she cares about. Life. The Natural world. Myth.
Spirituality. I love how she manipulates materials and uses them
metaphorically. Her work communicates what it is like to be alive.

"I like that feeling when you're making art, that you're taking the energy out of your body and putting it into a physical object. I like things that are labor-intensive: you make a little thing and another little thing and another little thing, and eventually you see a possibility." Kiki Smith

No comments: