Thursday, July 09, 2015

my embroidered quilts

Order Belies Chaos 1990  detail of the moon, text by Elizabeth I, hand pieced, chain stitch
Between the Leading Note and the Tonic 1998, the chain stitch embroidery is the quilting
  The embroidery on my quilts intensified after our move to Manitoulin Island in 1993.
Inanna's Prayer Rug  2000 pieced, layered, chain stitch  detail
Inanna's Prayer Rug 2000 pieced, layered, chain stitched, Collection of Ontario Juried Show


Visiting the textile museum in Toronto in 1994 and seeing embroidered world textiles inspired me and changed my work.  Although earlier quilts included embroidered text, using hand stitch as a surface design treatment was something that didn't occur in my work until 1996.
Secret Garden 2005  french knot and back stitch, English paper piecing, papers left in
Moisture and Greenness 2006  detail  mirror embroidery, chain stitch (the colour is digitally altered from original)
This post is a reflection on my embroidered quilts done before 2006.  The images are in chronological order and are from 2006 and 2007 blog posts.  In March 2016 I will have maintained this blog for 10 years and am considering how to celebrate that!
The Water Is My Grandmother  2006  detail of back of quilt  chain stitch 
The Water Is My Grandmother 2006 close up
For full views of these quilts, go to the 100 quilt blog and search by date. x

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bonjour Judy,
I've been following your blog for several months now and just want to tell you how inspiring your work is ... You are opening many ways to explore ... Thank you for that ...

Bizzzz from Provence

Martine

Cate Rose said...

Your quilts just knock me out, Judy! How have you managed to not have serious problems with your hands after all the hand stitching you've done for so long?? Have a great weekend. x

Threadpainter said...

I heard that it is your birthday !

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUDY !!

Gorgeous work ;)

Unknown said...

Hi Judy,
It makes my day to see your stitching . I love the buttons on the moon piece, and the wonderful prayer rug with all its circles and embroidery. I wish I could see it in person . It was such a treat to have you here a while back and experience you and your work first hand ! Seeing your work makes my hands tingle to go back to the first sewing I ever knew which was by hand.
I cannot thank you enough for allowing us to see what you have done in the past and are working on in the present .
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Hi, Judy. May I join Joyce in her lovely comments to you? This is what is in my heart as well. I come here and find so much beauty in so many ways. It has impacted my life and given me hope as I turn to stitching. I have never commented before but have spent many happy hours going through some of your old posts. Thank you so much and may all be well with you. Stephanie

Judy Martin said...

Thank you for these generous comments.

This blog is nearly ten years old, and I am so lucky to have been able to post images of my work through it onto the internet. It has connected me to like minded women and men all over the world.

The images of earlier work in this particular post relate to a project I've been thinking about for a while. When it gets a little further on, I will let you all know.

In the mean while, thank you for visiting, and I wish you sunny and rainy days ahead. Both are needed for us to grow.

xo

Unknown said...

These are the quilts that introduced me to you- your embroidery quilts. I was very glad to have met you that day at the Toronto Outdoor Art Expo. You have been an inspiration to me as I move in this textile world. You have also shown me that one can move into a new phase after raising 4 children. Thank you Judy.