Patching: a patch is a piece of material inserted for the purpose of strengthening worn or thin places
The student's name was Helen J Scott, she was in the grade A class, room 4. It was 1910.
Normal school is not where you go to become normal. Normal School is a term for what we now call teacher's college. My mother went to Normal School in the 40's.
Cloth is the material made of animal and vegetable fibres
1. stitches and spaces are of equal length
2. Looks the same on both sides
3. Stitches and spaces follow each other straight along the sewing line
4. The stitch is as small as the cloth will permit
1. Looks the same on both sides
2. Stitches and spaces are of equal length
3. Stitches and spaces are at right angles
4. Stitches are always parallel and so are the spaces
Use – to prevent raw edges from ravelling
1. looks the same on both sides.
2. Stitches and spaces form right angles.
3. Looks like overcasting, but the thread is carried through the body of the cloth and over the edge.
Use to fasten an edge smoothly to the body of the cloth. A) hems b) facings
Definition- a button hole is a slit in the material with the edges protected and strengthened by thread and used to slip over a button to hold two pieces of cloth together
Marking – mark where the shank of the button should come. If cutting with ordinary scissors, mark a point at both ends of the button hole
Cutting – when cutting stick point of scissors in at the shank end of the buttonhole and cut a straight slit the required length.
Do not double the cloth but cut through all the layers at once
Whenever possible, the cut should be straight with the warp or woof
1. Make the stitches deep enough to prevent fraying but not to look clumsy
2. Stitches not crowded but close together – just showing the cloth between
3. Begin almost any place with two or three stitches in the same place about the width of the stitch from the edge, hold the thread down firmly with the thumb, throw the thread over the needle to make a loop then draw this firmly and smoothly in place.
HOOKS AND EYES
SEWING ON BUTTONS
Definition: Darning is the process of inserting new threads in material in order to repair worn or broken threads
size of bag width 5" depth 5"