Friday, July 19, 2024

Conversation with Susan Sontag in my mind


Me:  When I think about my work, I can't think of any reason to do it. 

         I can't think of any meaning to what I'm doing in it.


Only when I don't think about the meaning of it, or the value of it, or the importance of it, can I enjoy my work.


And I do enjoy my work.


Susan:  When we ask ourselves a question for a long while without getting a satisfactory answer, there is usually something wrong with the question.


Humans didn't ask art to justify itself until the late 19th century.  We didn't ask art to be useful or practical. 

Useful, necessary activities are different from voluntary, playful, dreamy ones.


Let's say that  practicing an art is the second type of activity.  Let's say that is why we are drawn to it.

Then it is a mistake to be demoralized because we can't justify it for not being the first type of activity..  It fails to be a number one type of activity, but it is not supposed to be.


The qualities of being voluntary and being free are what drew us to making art in the first place.  When we try to make art a number one activity we start to doubt our worth.  The worth of the activity and also our own personal worth.  It's demoralizing. 


Vagueness is not only a condition for art and for literature.

Vagueness is a condition for any life of the mind.

Vagueness is necessary for humanity.


As Consciousness is Harnessed to Flesh:  Journals and Notebooks 1964 - 1980                                                                                                          of Susan Sontag edited by her son David Rieff. 

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Thank you. I needed to read this today.

kat said...

A beautiful thought to try and move forward with, despite the frequency with which the inner critic asks "but what's it for"!
Thank you for your continuing inspiration

Frank Myers said...

I'm going to try to think (or rather, not think) this way Judy.