Sunday, January 28, 2024

lucky pillow and pinwheel quilt

 

I put one of my embroideries into a pillow and called it the Lucky Pillow because seven is a lucky number and my granddaughter turned 7 last week.  

I finished it on the drive to Toronto to visit the family.


The seven year old has a 3 year old little sister and they play together.  Here they are playing with the small quilt that I am making for little sister.


It's made from hand pieced pinwheels, one of my favourite ways to place half square triangles together.  To up the playful feeling of my hand dyes, I visited local quilt shops and purchased some new printed fabrics for this wee quilt intended for a new person.  (she's only the ripe old age of 3)   


Suvi's quilt is one of the hand work projects I took with me to Mexico.  I loved being able to put the pieces into a baggie and sew it on the plane using a thread cutter rather than scissors or take the baggie with me to the beach or pool.  In the above photo, I am putting a nine-patch of pinwheels together in the lobby of the resort during a period of waiting for one of our families to arrive.  


I prepared this project beforehand with rotary cut squares that were machine pieced together with a single diagonal line.  I cut off half of the tiny square and discarded that part, then pressed the squares open.

It is a very portable and cheerful project.
   

This baby quilt is one of two hand work projects I took to Mexico, the other one being the one patch quilt I wrote about last week.


I keep looking at it on the wall because I am cautious about using too much red fabric.  I want a light as air feeling that's interesting far away and close up.  
  

The lucky pillow as a hat for grandad.

the pinwheel quilt.  xo

3 comments:

Liz A said...

oh, but you did save the very best for last ... such a delightful photo of quilt and grandchild both

I have yet to achieve a satisfying result with half triangles ... the bias edges confound me

Nancy said...

Oh my gosh there is so much to love here! The quilt is indeed cheerful and how I love the way the are 'playing' with it in process...to have the freedom to do that - wonderful! I've never seen a thread cutter like that...looks like a great tool (especially when traveling). And the pillow...what a love,y and fun idea. Lastly, so Last(ly) that pic of your sweet little one under the becoming of her quilt is just so special. The twinkle in her eye says it all!

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love this Judy.! So precious❤️