Saturday, October 14, 2023

the world

I couldn't tell one song from another

which bird said what or to whom or for what reason. 

The oak tree seemed to be writing something using very few words. 

I couldn't decide which door to open

they looked the same.


or what would happen when I did reach out

and turn a knob

I thought I was safe, standing there

but my death remembered its date.

Only so many summer nights still stood before me,

full moon, waning moon,

October mornings: what to make of them?  Which door?

I couldn't tell which stars were which or how far away any one of them was,

or which were still burning or not - 

their light moving through space like a long, late train - 

And I've lived  on this earth so long.  70 winters.

70 springs and summers, 

and all this time stars in the sky - in day light

when I couldn't see them

and at night when, most nights, I didn't look.


The text in this post is The World, a poem by Marie Howe (slightly edited : 70 instead of 50)

The images are of my stitching these past few weeks.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Still there, even when we "forget to look"...so much the place I'm in - forgetting to look even at amazing moons.
Love the quiet fans on tan, such a calming combo.

judy martin said...

Thank you Nancy. The tan quilt combines faded printed fabrics of my own clothing from when I was first married with tan fabrics from yesterday’s dye job. Time is the subject and the material .