Thursday, July 06, 2023

Under Drifting Stars the video

I finally made the selfie video for Quilt National today using my cell phone propped against a stack of journals.  Here is the direct link   to the video.  It wasn't so hard.  I spoke about the scale of the piece (big enough for a king size bed) and the repetition of the small hand made marks that makes you feel like you do in nature.   
 

I spoke about how I made the marks with water that had a few sprinkles of iron powder in it (available through natural dye suppliers) and that they were instant and permanent.  Painting these marks was dreamy.  I didn't have to think.  
under drifting stars: the back

I spoke about the texture of the piece, satin stitch bumpy dots below the horizon line and smaller puffy dots above it.  I didn't talk about the back side (shown above), but the texture and dots are there as well.  The back side is the side that touches our bodies when we pull a quilt over us.  

Aura No. 2 78 x 78" by Audrey Esarey   hand dyed cotton

Ned and I attended the opening of Quilt National in May and I took some photos of quilts that seemed like art to me.   Here they are:   

Forest of Seasons 96 x 89" by Diana S. Fox


Finding Connections #24 40.5 x 85.5 " by Denise L Roberts

Cocoon 40 x 64" by one of the jurors, Chiaki Dosho from Japan


Bowl of Heart 48x4 x 63.7" by Jungeun Tark from Korea

Sky Trippers 70 x 96" by Dinah Sargeant


                        Like Words That Shape Poems...Like Notes that Shape Music 92 x 92"                                 LED and chiffon by John Lefelhocz

You can see all the quilts in this exhibition with the Quilt National Catalogue available through the Dairy Barn, if you are not able to go see the show in Ohio over the summer.  
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      The top half of my quilt is hand quilted with white silk thread, while the lower half is quilted with pink silk thread, which is enough to change the colour slightly.  I wanted to talk about pulling the quilt over me and a  grandchild or two and letting it take us into dreamland but I can't remember if I actually did.  Click Here!  to see.  (6 minutes) 

                                                                                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            The quilt pinned up behind me in the above photo was removed from our bed.  Thank you to Keri Ann Wolfe at the Dairy Barn for the invitation to participate and for getting my story about Under Drifting Stars up on youtube.  I hope you enjoy it.  xoxo                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Such a wonderful post filled with beautiful art. I thoroughly enjoyed your video link. What a tremendous encouragement you continue to be to me!