Monday, February 13, 2023

Love Spreads

Another post about doing my work while grandmothering the new twins.
I only had one piece with me for nearly three weeks and it's gone through several nick names.

For a while I called it Holy Rothko, because of the dark reddish field of colour floating between the warm grey linen borders and because of the holes that marked it in a grid.
Then as I continued working on it, I called it Holy Holy, because it had taken on a spiritual quality.

For a while it was as if this piece helped me confront my own mortality.  
Grace with Juni
.
Judy with Daisy

I'm working it from the back side, stitching with running stitch around and around the backsides of the reverse applique dots, and then cutting away the sheer fabric that covers them.

So that the velvet circles bloom.   

While in the rented house, I'm taking care of Grace's cat for a while as her household gets used to the twins.    In the above photo, you can spy the quilt I mended last year on the bed.  Ned didn't come this time, but our other two daughters took turns helping their sister.


Mostly I've been cooking for the new parents.  I've been using recipes from the pandemic cookbook I compiled in 2020 of family favourites.  

I've been able to get in an hour of stitching by the window in our rented house each morning.
The piece is still not finished, but getting closer.

Love Spreads pinned to studio wall, nearly finished.

Newest title?  Love Spreads 

Inspired by a quote Maria Popova  sent me in her newsletter:  
Love is essentially self-communicative:  those that do not have it catch it from those who have it.  True love is unconquerable and irresistible; and it goes on gathering power and spreading itself, until eventually it transforms everyone whom it touches.  Meher Baba   

8 comments:

Mo Crow said...

(((Judy))) your work is so full of love, sweet love!

ARTISUN said...

Those sweet babies are gorgeous Judy, and so is Love Spread.

Liz A said...

the eyes have it in those two sweet photos of three generations ... and how wonderful to make food for your loved ones (my mantra has long been "food is love") ... tender memories for this cloth to absorb and hold

Robbie said...

Lovely embroidery work!!!! Enjoy those babies....

Els said...

Amazing, so much LOVE

Nancy said...

This whole post is so filled to the brim with Love! Your cup runneth over. Enjoy this time. xo

Grace said...

We all miss you so much! Especially the twins ❤️❤️❤️

Tamar Drushka said...

Beautiful work; and I love the final working title!

On the quote: I don't believe in "those that do not have it"... I know that we ARE love and so how could we not "have it"...? I still like the idea that it is spreadable xo