Monday, October 17, 2022

Autumn Song

We closed our cottage on Thanksgiving weekend, just Ned and myself.

We got there around 2 pm on the Saturday.  It was very blustery. 

I started a fire in the kitchen stove and he started one in the fireplace.

We had an early simple dinner.

I had my holy Rothko piece with me.  

I am thankful for the angle of the sun that makes the water sparkly at 5 pm

and for all the pillows, blankets and quilts that I prepare for winter storage

and for my teacup of gin and for Eleonor Wachtel on CBC radio. 


Ned wore his red toque all day and night and I wore my undershirt.    

We have started into our 50th year or marriage. 

On my mind is the spring 2023 exhibition.  

To help me plan, I have been writing out the measurements of the walls   

and pinning different pieces up to see how they look together.

I want to choose a collection of work that is beautiful but also a bit raw.

I want my exhibition to be like a poem that reveals an inner self full of love and emotion and worry. 


I stitched my red Rothko piece by the fire both nights. 


Meaning in art often comes from the materials it is made from.

Repetition is a material.

The over and over gestures made by the body calms the maker.

The sight and feel of the repeated marks soothes the viewer.


On Monday we finished up and drove into the setting sun with the boat on its trailer.   

We were home in time to see the  moon rise.

and the next day's sunrise 

Why do you stand at the window abandoned to beauty and pride

the thorn of the night in your bosom, the spear of the age in your side?     
Leonard Cohen.

Circles, red thread, domestic textiles, ancient marks, 

whirling spirals, grids, time, dream and the vulnerability of sleep.

All of these are in this work of mine.  What do they mean?


And what does it mean that there are two-sides 

and that I work the marks from the back? 


The first thing I did in this piece was to dye it red.  

It is a full size linen damask table cloth.  I made holes in it with a kind of acid.  

This was in 2011.  See here

then in 2020 I planted velvet in each hole with reverse applique.  


A garden of dots arranged in a grid, like Agnes Martin's idea of perfection. 

"it is not in the eye, it is in the mind. In our minds there is an awareness of perfection."  


Now there is a layer of dark sheer fabric covering the reverse side. 

And I am stitching circles around the reverse dots using a running stitch.

The stitches get smaller and smaller as you go around.   

It takes time.


When I finish, I clip the sheer cloth away and the velvet is set free.  

The raw edges flame into petals that stand up from the base cloth.  

This work is about finding a way to meditate. 

These repeated circles help me to feel my own spirit.


This work doesn't address the outer world.

(There is a war going on that we fear any day will turn nuclear.

There are school shootings, children are being killed for no reason.

There are floods and hurricanes and fires that ruin people's lives for years.)


My circles do not fix these things.

My circles do not comment on these things. 

They do not try to convince people.

These circles are a way to find emptiness and calmness.

I was sad because I was alive.  I did not even know all the things I wanted, and that is what made me saddest.  If I were more religious than I am, I might say that the feeling was yearning for the place we came from before we were born. 

Perhaps instead, it is about the human search for perfection, the perfection we find only in great works of art and out in the landscape.  Sharon Butala

I think that we yearn for perfect peace, which doesn't mean being in perfect solitude, but for peace in the heart.  A peaceful heart in the midst of the multitudes, tumult, chaos, violence, sorrow, and beauty of everyday life.  We can never have that peace.  (Except in a work of art or in the sunset we have intimations of it.)  That is why we feel sadness.  Sharon Butala


 I will continue stitching these flowery circle stars.    

Carry on bravely my friends. xo  

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Just simply beautiful circles piece you are making. The color amplifies the circles into something else...what I don't know, but this piece speaks to me...
of quiet and a safety of a sort...in our troubled times...
thanks for sharing...hugs, Julierose

SMP said...

❤️

Mo Crow said...

Such a beautiful post full of peace and such deep heart

Deb VZ said...

It's been awhile since I've visited your blog but needing a break from work, I decided to take a look. Your words are exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Silence and sewing.

Anonymous said...

mark Rothko is one of my favorite artists. the national gallery of art will be hosting an exhibition of his works on paper beginning in November of 2023. https://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/2023/mark-rothko-paintings-on-paper.html

I hope to get there to see it. nga does have some of his painted blocks of color. and it wasn't until recently that I learned that wasn't the work in the beginning of his career.

kirsten

Stitching Lady said...

So wonderful, so thoughtful. Thank you. I came over from Robyn Gordon on facebook.
Anneliese from Germany