Sunday, September 06, 2020

year 6

I've been working on this quilt since 2014. 
six years
it's hand pieced nine patches that measure one inch when sewn
the photos in this post were taken over the last week at the family cottage
I spent three nights alone - I loved it.
I've written a tutorial on hand piecing using the nine-patches in this quilt.
That was in 2016.  here
Projects that take a long time seduce me.
It is so comforting to go back to them and not have to think.  Just stitch.
Family visited last weekend - April had the idea to photograph her quilts floating in the water.
Aren't they great?
'But how very much of one piece is everything we encounter, how related one thing is to the next, how it gave birth to itself and grows up and is educated in its own nature, and all we basically have to do is be there, but simply, ardently, the way the earth simply is, consenting to the seasons, light and dark and altogether in space, not asking to rest upon anything other than the net of influences and forces in which the stars feel secure. "  Rainer Maria Rilke

7 comments:

Mo Crow said...

seeing this beautiful quilt in process through the years along with the quote from Rilke settles my heart and soul!

Turid said...

Just beautiful.

katerinaKrem said...

Hello! Your work has fascinated me. Because I want to be sure of what I see, I have two questions: The size of this lovely white-and-blue quilt calculated in centimeters is 2.20 meters; And another one. Is there a connecting pad underneath and what is it? Greetings from sunny Greece!

Camilla G. said...

Lots to think about here, as well as beauty. Patience, commitment, solitude, family, and aspiring towards a certain serenity especially now...x

Nancy said...

First I was thinking about how very patient you are, then my mind rested in the fact that you probably don't need to even try for that,a s your attitude and perspective on long-time cloth just lends itself to time. Lovely.
How wonderful April's cloths are, just floating there and how special it is that you two, mother & daughter get to share creative inspirations together!

buysse maria said...

it comes all together , even our BIG planet SUN love it , so am I

April said...

wait the hot dog didn’t make the cut??