Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Evelyn's questions

Not To Know But To Go On 2013  13" x 220' installed in the Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts in St. Bonaventure, New York as part of the SAQA Global Exhibition  ..  3-D Expressions
Q  Where do you find inspiration to work from?

A  Inspiration is not really 'found'.  It arrives.  Agnes Martin says that inspiration falls like rain when we are asleep.   The key, I think, is stay open.  I keep a journal beside me all the time and use it to catch those ideas that hover close to me when I'm reading or looking or listening.  Making note of what resonates with me is noted and then when I re-read the journal,  I find inspiration.
one entire skein of cotton embroidery floss was used up each day for over a thousand days
 Q  Thinking of the piece that you have in the exhibition, why did you decide to make this piece 3-dimensional?

Not To Know But To Go On is basically a time-line for three years of my life from 2010 to 2013, full of ups and downs, loops and circles, repeats and unknowns.  Each day that whirled past is a cycle of sunrise and sunset, each month is a cycle of moon, and each year a cycle of seasons.
the fabrics are from Judy's collection of favourite cloth from her life, torn into strips and couched to artist's canvas
The meaning of the piece is expressed by its form: a line.
like a star in my sky 2020 three layers of wool with wool thread, hand stitch, second side
Q  Once you have conceived an idea, how do you start?  Do you make sketches, do research, look at other works before you begin?

A  My work always begins with a rough ball point pen sketch in my journal. 
like a star in my sky in progress (first side) plus wrapping cloth 2014 second side showing
Q  How do you decide when you have the idea?

A  I think the idea develops as I sketch.  Drawing is a way to think.

My design wall is important.  As the piece progresses, I keep pinning my work up to gaze at and draw what I see and make new sketches of possible changes.
Judy Martin with Not To Know But To Go On as installed with 3-D Expressions at the Gerald Ford Museum in Grand Rapids Michigan in 2019.
Also, and this is very important.  I don't necessarily know what the end product will look like when I make that first sketch or catch the first idea with word or two.
Cloud of Time 2014  13" x 88 feet rescued domestic linen and variety of blue fabrics couched to artist canvas with 365 skeins of cotton embroidery floss in order to represent one year of time.
 I don't work three-dimensionally unless it is the best way to express the meaning of the piece.
Evelyn Penman is the Assistant curator and Director of the gallery that is hosting the 3-D Expressions exhibition.  Because the gallery is closed by the quarantine, the exhibition can be viewed online on April 29 along with a zoom interview of four of the artists.  More information is at this link. 

4 comments:

Tina said...

I watched the panel discussion, it was amazing. I really enjoyed listening to the presentations, the question and answer session. It was so inspiring to hear you speak about your work. I could see your expressions of pride as you spoke. It was a wonderful session. Thank you!

Mystic Quilter said...

Such interesting questions for you and a delightful insight into your thought process and working style.

Judy Martin said...

Hi Tina. I saw your name flash up on the chat line while the recording was going - thank you for attending and for this comment. I will try to share the talk on one of my blogs once it is available. xo

Judy Martin said...

there were many more questions - these were the first 3 or 4.
I found these ones the most difficult - I really don't know where ideas come from - they just do - and so many of them. Wish I had more time xo