Tuesday, March 24, 2020

amulets and recipes

Sarah's first amulet with red thread protection
An amulet is a device, the purpose of which is to protect by magical means.
Amulets in the form of triangles are ubiquitous.
Their power is boosted with the addition of coins or embroidered patterns.
Triangle amulets can hang from a belt or purse or be pinned to a blouse.
They can be carried in a pocket.
Sarah's amulet embroidered with the Ukranian symbol for stamina and health, the branch of a fir tree
Triangular amulets for protection of lone travelers are made from plain fabric, crudely stitched.  (Gold or silver triangular earrings are also amulets).
quilt back hand stitched by April
There are many aspects of textiles, not just pattern that are protective, such as thread itself.
stripes and diamonds by April
The following motifs are in themselves amulets.
Star, tree of life, cross, hand, labyrinth, eye, and magic square.
triangles and nine patches by zoe
Confusion is an effective weapon against whatever the demon is.
Pockets out of alignment or false, small irregular details, complicated dense patterning,
all these serve to perplex.
hand stitched crosses by Sarah
Embroidery on edgings or seams of garments,
embroidery around pockets and over breasts are all used
to prevent disease-carrying spirits from reaching the body.
chocoolate chip cookies by Emily
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cream until fluffy 1 cup butter, 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup brown sugar
Add 1 egg and 1 tsp vanilla and continue to beat until fluffy
Fold in  2 cup flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt
Fold in 1 or 2 cup chocolate chips
Drop on ungreased cooke sheet by teaspoon and bake 350 degree oven 12 minutes or so
Slightly under-bake - when removing from oven slam the cookie sheet on counter or stove top
Dough can be refrigerated.
yellow cake by moi
Scratch Yellow Cake
pre-heat oven to 375 degree and prepare cake pan (9"square) with butter and dust of flour
Sift 2 1/4 cup cake flour with 3 tsp baking powder into mixing bowl, add 1 cup sugar and 1 tsp salt
Cut 1/2 cup soft butter into the flour, then add 2/3 cup of milk and beat for 2 minutes with electric mixer.  Scrape bowl often with rubber spatula.
Add 2 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla and 1/3 cup more milk.  Beat 2 more minutes.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
star web by April
Solar motifs of circles and stars are powerful.
hand stitched amulets by sarah, stars and each stuffed with salt
Cut two triangle shapes from cloth you have on hand.
Sew the sides together but leave a small opening so that you can add garlic, salt or a written prayer.
However, the triangle by itself is powerful enough.  It has sharp points.
The text in this post is paraphrased from
Sheila Paine's book Amulets: Sacred Charms of Power and Protection

The images of sewing and cookies were sent to me by young women who are staying home this week.

Take care of yourselves dear ones.
(the recipe for chocolate icing is in the comments)

12 comments:

Judy Martin said...

To make chocolate butter icing, use the back of a spoon to cream soft butter into icing sugar and cocoa. 2 tbsp butter - 1 1/2 cup icing sugar - 2 tbsp cocoa powder)
After you have worked fairly hard to mix the butter into the powders, you can add a tablespoon or two of milk as needed. xo

Mo Crow said...

Ah one of my all time favourite books with time to read it again now that the libraries are all shut for the forseeable!

Saskia said...

must come back later on and read all of this once (or twice) again; just wanted to add: this morning I suddenly wanted to wear a necklace, I chose one my sister gave me a couple of years ago, guess what? a triangle! sending love, stay safe and healthy xx

Liz A said...

I confess that most of my chocolate chip cookie dough never makes it into the oven (I know, raw dough is "dangerous" but I can't resist so I make tiny "snack" batches with meringue powder to lessen the risk)

And I have been casting about for a stitch project small enough to do ... this may be it ... thank you

Threadpainter said...

OOH ... love this talk of amulets !!!
I must read up on this topic more. And I am going to make a few today ... one for my new neighbour who is sitting with a dying husband of 58 yrs. His cancer has gotten the better of him. We leave food for each other on our neighbouring kitchen window sills.
My husband thanks you for the cookie recipe ... he's taken to making bread and it's just a great thing !
Stay well, Stay safe.

jude said...

food has such an amulet type feeling to me. especially these days.

Linda Gardiner said...

What a great post. May have to get the book. I immediately set aside other fiber projects & made myself an amulet. Took a walk in the park with it...feel better already! I put a penny & salt in mine. Both have healing properties, which may be why those elements were added in the first place?
Pulp Paper & Pigment-My Fiber Art Blog

Judy Martin said...

Yes, I agree about food. It's a tangible way to take care of yourself and the people you love.

Bread:
heat 2 cups of milk until scalded, add 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp brown sugar and 1 tsp salt and allow to cool back down to room temperature.
meanwhile: put 2 tbsp or one package of regular yeast in bowl of 2/3 cup warm water and 1 tsp dissolved sugar and allow to rise.
Mix the two liquids together once the milk mixture has cooled and begin to add the (4-5 cups) offlour. The flour can be all-purpose white flour or it can be a mixture of all-purpose with brown flours, choice is yours.
I mix 2 cups of flour into the milk mixture still in the saucepan that I heated the milk in. I use a wooden spoon and beat the mixture until it is smooth and looks like cake batter, then I add another cup of flour and continue with wooden spoon, but eventually, for the final cup of flour, I have to turn the mixture out onto a pile of flour and begin to knead it by hand. There are probalby youtube videos on this - but I use the heels of my palms and continually turn and wrap the dough towards me while pushing it out again. When I think it is done - smooth and elastic, but also very firm and forming a beautiful foot ball - I knead 50 more times.
Add a little butter to cover the mess in the saucepan and put your ball of dough face down into the butter, and then turn that over so there is butter on both sides of the ball. Cover with a damp clean tea-towel and allow to rise until double. (about one and 1/2 hour)
Punch the dough down and give it some more love, before cutting in half and shaping two loaves. Place these in buttered pans, cover with damp towel and allow to rise again. (30 minutes this time or until double)
Bake at 375 for 25 minutes - it will sound hollow when it's done when you tap it. xo

Nancy said...

I love this Judy...and small enough to to make one easily. Thank you.
Also, I so wanted to see those cookies be triangles, then they all would be amulets for me! Yum!

Bethany G said...

Thanks for this Judy - I can feel the love in these loaves!

Tina said...

Thank you

Judy Martin said...

Bread is a great thing, I agree. Take care of each other xx