Monday, December 16, 2019

layering

Moon of Kindness  2018 by Frances Dorsey
dyed printed, stitched pieces of old discarded table linens, natural dyes
42" x 42"
In 2018 we were in Halifax, and visited the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia.  While there I came across Nova Scotia artist, Frances Dorsey's work with domestic linens.  I share them here, so that I can see them again.
 I like the way the fabrics are layered and allowed to hang rather free.
Moon of Meanness  2018 by Frances Dorsey
dyed, printed, stitched old discarded table linens, natural dye
42" x 42"
The artist holds back on the addition of stitched marks, although she used stitch resist with dyes.
This is interesting and informative for me.
The fabrics have a different way of hanging when they are not stitched.
The layers are more evident.
Dorsey uses the archetype of circle within a square, and I identify with that.
These next three images are of pieces by Berlinde de Bruckere, an artist from Belgium. She  also layers her fabrics and does not stitch them much.  The holes and tatters in her work reveal layers that are sometimes 16 inches deep, more like sculptures. Go to this link and watch the short video.  Then you will have more understanding of how evocative her work is.
Fabric is very evocative of the human body as both are so vulnerable to aging and exposure to the elements.  Berlinde de Bruyckere's pieces have a sense of history and memory.
There have an emotional narrative, about love, suffering, and time.
 "I want to show how helpless a body can be.  It's nothing you have to be afraid of - it can be sometimes beautiful"  Berlinde de Bruckere
 Shot through the Heart 2010  by Frances Dorsey
used linen napkins coloured with natural dyes, oxides and metal salts
screen printing, discharge, stitching  108" x 108"
and click here  to see another direction that Frances Dorsey takes with dyed table linen.
Moon and Chrysalis number 2 by Junko Oki  2017
stitch, wax, cotton bandage over an iron frame
39.5" square  ............ and I continue in my admiration for Junko Oki 

8 comments:

Liz A said...

thank you for continuing my education in cloth makers ... Frances Dorsey's work is luminous, and the softly layered folds are breath-taking ... I can only imagine what it must be like to see them in "real life" ... I'd probably plunk myself down on the floor and just gaze for as long as anyone would allow

Judy Martin said...

Thanks Liz. I have edited in links to these artists and their work with layering and emotion. xo

Debbie said...

I love all of these, thank you for sharing. I have followed Junko Oki for a while.

Mystic Quilter said...

These pieces are magnificent! I have never seen anything like this before and will certainly be following your links to study further. Thank you for sharing.

Catherine said...

I found this post so interesting, thank you, and for all the links. I loved the squares within circles within squares and the way the fabric was just allowed to speak for itself.

Cris Winters said...

Thank you once again for expanding my world! Wonderful work that I would not know about without your sharing.

raz nev said...

thank you so much for sharing your work and your insights.and works by other artists.

ARTISUN said...

All this gorgeous pieces are so interesting and new to me. Thank you Judy for sharing them with us!