Thursday, December 20, 2018

new work that grows

There's something un-real about the month of December,
as if real life deadlines go on hold.

I've been stitching 9-patches, making new cloth from tiny squares.
In the busy days
in the dark time of December
I retreat into the grid.
I sit by the window with the bird feeder view and hand stitch.
mrs cardinal

mr cardinal

I pin my work up because it is impossible to see it when it is in my lap.
I plan to organize the finished quilt with a horizon.
I've been looking at the open water, it's always moving, the ice not in yet

The moving water makes me think that I always am asking why?
Why do I ask why?

Trust myself.
Learn why
"what does it mean to say "I lose myself"  asked Immanuel Kant in 1786

I  lose myself in this grid

it's dark by 4:30
It's the shortest day.
But the cloth gets larger.
In the evenings I plug away on the sunny-rainy piece.
The stitches make it denser, but it doesn't get bigger
Our girls come home on Saturday.

6 comments:

Val Hearder said...

Blessed Solstice to you dear Judy. I love the grid in your lap.You shared a quote from Agnes Martin once. Agnes said: the grid is innocence. I have that quote on my work wall.

Mo Crow said...

such a beautiful post of your work in hand at this turning of the year

willow woman said...

You mentioned the ice and I remember when I worked at red lodge on Manitoulin Island the ice we used all summer was cut in large blocks from the lake! What wonderful memories from a special place!

Judy Martin said...

Blessed Solstice to you Valerie. And to your beautiful family. xo

Judy Martin said...

you are beautiful Mo. happy Solstice xo

Judy Martin said...

It is a spiritual place. I sink into this place, and love to live here. What a beautiful memory of Red Lodge. Happy Solstice to you xoxo