Sunday, October 14, 2018

everything something anything

Its overwhelming.  How do we do it?  Everything?   Something?   Anything?

I started a new system this fall to keep my bodies of work and my daily and emotional life on track.  I'm using the kitchen timer again. (not for the emotional parts)
First thing in the morning, I stitch by the window into this altered journal.  Although the timer is set to 15 minutes, I work until there is a natural pause.  Working in this journal has inspired further journal work.   I think that's good.
Then I do an hour of hand stitch on the 'weekly project'.  (shown: re-configuring moon cloth)

In this new system, I work on just one piece for a week and then fold it up and work on a different one the next week.  The rule is: I can have in 10 pieces in rotation for this morning stitching, but no more.

(The many others will just have to wait until I have finished one of those 10)
Also, I am avoiding my inbox.
I seek no deadlines...
About social media:
I post once a week on instagram of whatever I am currently working on.
I post nearly once a week on facebook.
I write in this blog once or twice a week.  I'm sad that blog readership seems to be down because of the three, the blog is the most true. 

The only-10-things rule has made room for new ideas.  I think it's good that they keep coming.
I neglect the in-progress pieces piled on chairs and the sketches, re-drawn countless times.
I do about 2 hours of stitch each morning, and then go into town to work on the 3rd body of work based on wool blankets.  These town studio pieces are huge and I listen to a pod cast while filling the blankets with stitch.  I like to listen to Writers and Company with Eleonar Wachtel.
Home again, I go for a walk and make dinner.  The day is nearly over.
My husband and I have our Netflix date around 10 pm
and I work on the piece I leave in the TV room.
It's the TV pieces that get done.
This finished flannel quilt (above) was posted on instagram Friday.
Here is the TV piece I'm working on now.
This photo was taken last weekend at the cottage. Canadian Thanksgiving

This post is about time.
There just isn't enough of it.
In a day.  In a life. 

I have too many ideas.
Most will get done.
Somehow. Anyhow.  Everyhow.xo

37 comments:

Robbie said...

Just like exercising! HA We have to set time limits!

Mo Crow said...

Wow (((Judy))) that's organized!

Mystic Quilter said...

Great inspirational post!! I like the idea of limiting the number of works in progress and the rotation weekly, sounds like something I would like to try and practice. Thank you for sharing "your day" with us.

Helen said...

Such interesting pieces. And a good idea about the time and work load.

Wendy said...

Were you there listening in as I talked with a friend as while we walked the dogs on the beach this morning?

Mayr said...

Dear Judy,

I love, love, love this posting! It is so enlightening to read about your day and how you’ve structured
your work within the day! And through this structuring you’re getting the work done! Woohoo!

Thank you for the inspiration to tackle the work and the ideas to motivate me to introduce more
structure in my life with my artwork! Your blog is very informative and worthwhile! Keep doing it!

Sincerely, from a grateful reader,
MaryAnn
Dundas, Ontario

Roxanne said...

Oh, Judy. Once again, you fill me up. Order is so familiar to me as is tending to what is at hand. Stitch by stitch by stitch.

christine said...

You are inspiring me with the timer concept. I do struggle with so little time, so many projects, ideas, demands from outside world.

Suzanne said...

Judy, Your blog keeps me going as I adjust to a new city far from friends and family. You give me ideas and encouragement and hope towards my craft practice. Many thanks. Your blog is beautiful,
Suzanne

Val Hearder said...

Your routines have inspired me to build my moring routines and creative muscle. Like Agnes'grids, they provide structure. I trying to instill both into my life.

Unknown said...

Nice way to organize your work time. I should try it...

Q:Is your stitch journal fabric or paper?

Unknown said...

I got to see some of your work at the World Festival of Threads. It was awesome to see it close up. Loved the Festival, the inspiration and the recognition of fabric as Art. Also love your blogs and your philosophy. I hope to visit your Island one day. I live on Lake Huron so not too far away

Judy Martin said...

The journal in this post is paper - a black hard-cover sketchbook that I kept during the year I turned 40. I've gone through about half the book and painted out most of the text with gold acrylic, leaving the most powerful words untouched. Now, I am adding threads...and this book is becoming more beautiful than it is possible for me to say. xo

Hilary’s musings said...

I so enjoy your reflections. I can’t seem to find you on Instagram, can you help?

Vicky aka Stichr said...

Moon cloth...such lightness. Is that velvet in the last picture, with the dots? So much tactile texture to it.

I prefer blogs too. We can use full words.

Marjorie said...

Dear Judy,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I enjoy your blog so much.
Quiet wisdom and beautiful photographs.
Best wishes from the Highlands of Scotland.
Marjorie

Judy Martin said...

my instagram handle is @judithemartin
xo

willow woman said...

Thank you again and again for sharing. To be part of your inspiring process is a great gift!

SMP said...

Your corner I always find a quiet, calm, and unbelievably powerful corner of the internet. Keep well and keep creating

Unknown said...

I was praying this morning for something to lighten me into the day, so thank you and Arohanui from Aotearoa

Bonnie said...

What a wonderful glimpse into your world. It was peaceful and purposeful at the same time. I have a standing Netflix date with my husband each night at around 9:30 too. My hands remain idle finally at that point because they're busy being held by his. :)

Mary said...

I love your routines, and your idea about posting one-two times per week on social media. I like to concentrate on making for a long time, and then sharing for a short time. Your time management is spot on.

Doris Perlhuhn said...

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. It gives me a lot to think about time and how to use it.

Unknown said...

Judy, I loo forward to your blog and it is always such a pleasure. I find I go back to look at the pictures again and again. They are such a source of beauty and an inspiration. Thank you.

Anni Hunt said...

Great post. Looks like a good work plan and something I need. Especially to limit my social media time. And the blog comment is so true! It is like pulling teeth to get people over to ones bolg. It has made me use Facebook more than I want to just to stay in touch with my textile groups.

Debbie said...

I love reading your blog and I love and admire your work. I to think blogging is best although mine are short and mainly used as a reminder to me of my work.

Judy Martin said...

way more fun than exercising, robbie. xo

Judy Martin said...

my day is packed. xo

Judy Martin said...

Limiting myself has resulted in so many new and fresh ideas. It's magical - and I think it's OK. xo

Judy Martin said...

Yes, I am using plant-dyed velvet to make the reverse applique dots and then stitching around them with dense quilting to a backing of wool cloth. I like to pull the thread as I stitch so that everything gets a bit distorted, and the velvet dots pop up like mushrooms. xo

Catherine Alice said...

Judy - love your work so much. Velma introduced me to it years ago. I hope you will consider sending something to this international book arts show I am co-curating in Washington State. It is called All Stitched Up. Work can be for sale or not. We just want beautiful things. Deadline is April 30th. http://www.pugetsound.edu/allstitchedup

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I'm still here reading your blog! Love your work! I too have more ideas than time to actually implement the ideas. I guess the best ones do tend to bubble up or come back around if they have been neglected too long.

Unknown said...

Netflix date and stitching. Thank you for sharing how a usual day goes for you .. like your work it feels like a day filled with soul.

Istanbuljoy said...

For what it's worth...I'm glad you keep blogging! It' is always a pleasure & an inspiration to 'pop in', hear your voice & see your working. xx

Ev Ward de Roo said...

This is really helpful. Thank you Judy.

Deb G said...

I feel the same way about blogging... Always inspired by what you share even if I don't comment often. :)

Sue McQ said...

Amazing,my dear...to portion out passages of time and space to accomplish much. I sit at your feet and learn.