Thursday, September 22, 2016

junko oki

More than often, studying something too much may lead to confusion - Junko Oki
 I used red thread to create stitches that capture my soul - Junko Oki
When I said to someone that I wanted to show both sides of my work, I was told that to do so was unprofessional.  I should only show my best side, the side which is more beautiful and commit to it. Sensible advice, buut I still want to show the back side.  Why?  I don't know.  Maybe finding a reason to that question is an important topic for me to pursue.  Junko Oki
When I touch an old fabric I feel like I'm going back in time.  Junko Oki
Memories can be implanted into material - Junko Oki
I want to make many small pieces.  I love to work spontaneously and follow the path my intuition leads me.  Junko Oki

All images and text in the above post are from Junko Oki's new book, Punk.

Art by contemporary artists like Junko Oki  combine with traditional folk textiles from around the globe as inspiration for the one day workshops I'm teaching in London this week.
The circle:  A universal symbol of wholeness and unity, timelessness, no beginning, no end, no above, no below.  Spacelessness.  Dynamic and endlessly moving, a complete cycle, natural perfection.  J. C. Cooper

11 comments:

Saskia said...

she blows my mind, wow!

Christine said...

I brought that book with me to Maiwa.

Liz I. said...

There's so much resonance between Oki's work and yours. Thank you so much for making me aware of her work! I hope to get an interlibrary loan of her fabulous, but expensive, book.

Martine said...

I like her work too, very much........
Yours and hers, so different and so equal, its all about stitching!

Unknown said...

Her work is fabulous. Thank you for sharing this.

epocktextiles said...

“... life may be compared to a piece of embroidery, of which, during the first half of his time, a man gets a sight of the right side, and during the second half, of the wrong. The wrong side is not so pretty as the right, but it is more instructive; it shows the way in which the threads have been worked together” ― Arthur Schopenhauer
From https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/schopenhauer

Mo Crow said...

such a wonderful artist with deep heart and soul

Wendy Watson said...

I bought Punk for myself some time back and often look at just a few pages . . . there is a world in each image.

Velma Bolyard said...

her work is utterly amazing.

apiecefullife said...

I have had this book for a while also. Your post made it open it again. I love it. Thanks for the reminder.
Ps. Your verification process is challenging!

Montse Llamas said...

I didn't know her. Thank you for sharing the artist and the quotes. I have just copied some of them in my diary.