Monday, February 17, 2014

Inspiration

"Vetruska" Marimekko fabric designed by Aino-Maija Metsola 2012
I continue to struggle with the studio(s) here at home that are no replacement for the light filled, high ceiling space in town that I had to move out of last summer.  Although I do have a pin wall in the one upstairs,  it's not even 8 feet high.  Right now this marimekko fabric is pinned up. 
Vetruska is such an interesting and edgy dot grid and so large.  Each repeat of the design is over 6 feet long, 5 feet wide. I find it to be very inspiring but how can I learn from it yet still keep my own voice?

In my second studio (another bedroom) I have been trying to create a drawing/painting place but it's really hard to get in there.  Right now that room is a mess because I used it to sort my old paintings for the exhibit that just went up at the local library. 
 Grow Into Understanding 2007 by  Ali Cavanaugh
But...things happen for reasons.  Here I am having a show of watercolours that feature my children, and by chance I opened the 2008 American Artist Watercolor magazine purchased years ago.   
Falling Through Your Redolence 2008 by Ali Cavanaugh
It was the article about Ali Cavanaugh's work that inspired me to buy that magazine then and it inspires me still. I love her use of emptiness, mystery, fabric pattern and the figure.   She spends a lot of time on preparatory photo shoots with her daughter and nieces as models, dressing them in her collection of vintage clothing. 
"The creative part of my process is capturing the figure in a pose that is emotional"  Ali Cavanaugh
Putting on Perfection 2008 by Ali Cavanaugh

There is information about this artist online here, here and here.
Daughter April is coming home for a week.  Perhaps she won't mind posing for me.
Vetruska, designed by Aino-Maija Metsola, for Marimekko

Fabric or figures?
One of the challenges I often face is that I get too many ideas so easily.  Does that happen to you as well?

13 comments:

Margaret said...

I am studying the Glasgow Rose and considering permutations...and you post these photos of 'circle grids'...more inspiration! Thank you!

Mo Crow said...

having at least two projects going at any given time means when a piece needs space for gestation the other one can be continued. I stitch a little each day to free up the hand/heart/eye connection, when the line starts feeling sharply focused and true that's when I get back to the drawing board.

Valerianna said...

If I followed all my ideas I'd finish absolutely nothing! I have a ton of ideas, then, when it comes to working, I'm obsessed with a certain track, so, follow that. I imagine that if I didn't also teach, I could follow more paths... who knows. I find it challenging not to have a well lit and well loved studio space. Can't imagine going back to the tiny one I used to have. Though, I do think a new space can push us to find new paths.

Heather said...

I see why you like Ali Cavanhaugh. So simple and minimalist, with strong lines, pattern and emotion. Beautiful!

kathyd said...

i am always trying to connect the dots from one project to the next .i have been trying to connect my glass work to my textiles .i think i might have figured it out . i just keep on going and waiting for an answer . when one happens then i know i am on the right path.
changing spaces is always hard.

Karen Thiessen said...

Although I am an idea generating machine, I don't have enough time in this life to follow through with them. This is good. If the idea is persistent enough and I get curious and passionate about it, then it will likely be carried through to completion. Sometimes it takes many years for an initial concept to make it to exhibition. Like Mo, I have a few projects on the go that balance each other and allow for incubation.

I hope an optimal studio solution comes to you.

Judy--- said...

i love this post.
the images
& the thoughts.

ideas--or partial ideas--or sort of a sense of an idea --sometimes

that whole thing about being inspired/learning so much from others --i LOVE seeing what others are doing--online, in books--
AND how to keep( find?) my own voice....
thank you for this post --

& all the others.

Vicki Miller said...

Most definitely too much inspiration. It makes it very hard to decide what to do! I love the fabric, but the watercolours are amazing! Perhaps you could make several small pieces with the fabric that also have your own interpretation of the shapes in them

Susan said...

yes. It is often overwhelming and the ideas get jumbled up with all else on the daily/weekly to do list. But with ideas it's just not as simple as doing it and crossing it off the list, so they are always there. But then I wonder what do people think about without an idea list? I wish I could accomplish more making, but it's the daydreaming about doing that gets me through a lot of the daily mundane things.

Judy Martin said...

This discussion is very supportive. Thank you to all who have contributed.

jeanne hewell-chambers said...

edgy, you say. i like edgy, i say.

faun bonewits said...

I've not had the luxury/challenge of having a studio away but i can see mourning it.

you say you have a wall upstairs ..

does that mean there is a stair way?
there could be a tall wall there
it not like you can work on the stairway ...
its not comfortable-i've tried

but its tall if you can figure out
how to get things hung up there
for a different perspective.

love seeing you work
you have a voice
and a big heart

thank yo for being you

Carol Sloan said...

I've seen many of Ali's paintings in a Charleston SC gallery. I love them too! Have you seen of her work in person?