Monday, September 14, 2009

More information than you need

I've been writing this blog since March 2006 - that's three and a half years. My first entry has a photo of me speaking at the opening of the millennium journal exhibition in Haliburton. So much has happened in my art since that time, I've enrolled for a second fine art degree by distance, I've acquired an outside studio with large walls and good light, and I've had four solo exhibitions. All of those things and others have been listed here.

Yesterday, I made a presentation about a community project and it went very well. There was a lot of enthusiasm at the United church in Little Current about the circle quilts that we will make in the church hall on Thursdays. In the afternoon, I started going over what I need to do for my Fine Art Embroidery course that started last week. I'm going to Alaska in two weeks to try my best to be a good grandma for Everett and a brand new baby.

I know I'm very lucky to be able to be an artist, live on an island, have a full family life. I thank my readers for listening to me brag and whine alternately , as I pour out my intimate thoughts here. I don't know what I'm trying to say in this post, but I think it might have something to do with not wanting to do those Tuesday art quilting classes I promised.

3 comments:

Lesley Turner said...

congratulations on your impressive list of achievements, Judy. i know the feeling of not wanting to do something but at the same time you feel you should do it. i have a saying on my desk "Use your time wisely - make every second count" when i think of life as a series of seconds the measuring of time becomes trivial so I focus on doing what is right now, in the moment, which is timeless

Dolores said...

I guess it took a while to figure out what you wanted or didn't want to do.

Judy Martin said...

Don't get me wrong. I love teaching. I love piano teaching as well, but not as much as doing my art, so I've cut back my piano teaching to just one day a week this year. Teaching the art quilting fills the time where before I taught piano. My reasons were : it was closer to my own heart and there was a lot of local demand for it. It will still rob time from the doing of my art, but maybe not as much. So for now, I am going to do the art quilting classes. Shall see how it goes.
Thanks for listening.