Wednesday, March 11, 2009

hope

I've been reading an old Orion magazine from 1999 that featured writing about HOPE. I was struck by how most of the essayists wrote about children and young people. "My hope lies in the tremendous energy, enthusiasm and commitment of young people around the world." says Jane Goodall, founder of the Roots and Shoots environmental group.

Thomas Moore wrote a short essay entitled "The Child's Deep Delight". "My spirit comes alive when I see how children and nature are friendly with each other" he says. "I see great value in allowing a bigger place for children in our daily lives. It seems to me that we gain the benefits of the child's point of view by letting them be themselves and by allowing ourselves to be affected by them, by simply being in their presence and being open to their perspectives."

No comments: