Monday, June 04, 2007

Art as quiet

I am staying in Kansas City for three more days to study with Sue Hammond West. We begin each session with a five minute meditation to leave behind what came before and commit to being in the present. The class of fifteen work without speaking to each other which I absolutely LOVE. Sue gave us this quote by the poet Rumi to help us focus on being silent.

A great silence overcomes me and I wonder why I ever thought to use language.
There is a secret core in everyone.
Every spoken word is a covering for the inner self.
Stop the words.
Open the window in the center of your chest and let the birds fly in and out.

1 comment:

Dale Anne Potter said...

Sounds like a FABULOUS way to have a class........sometimes the noise of a class is distracting!
Look forward to seeing what works come fromthis Judy!!!