Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Bird Images from Cape Dorset

Qupanuapak (Big Bird) by Sheojuk Etidlooie  stone cut 24.5 x 28"
On southwestern Baffin Island is the Canadian Arctic Territory of Nunavut.
The artists of Cape Dorset have been pulling prints for nearly forty-five years.
Bird Song by Nikotai Mills  Lithograph  22 x 30 inches
The artists depict important elements of their culture.
Language and stories and their connection to the Arctic.
Images in this post are from this book, one that I gave my Alaskan grand-boys a while back and noticed here, on the book shelf.
Young Goose Preening Kavavaow Mannomee  stonecut and stencil 25 x 18.5 inches

Illustrious Owl by Kenojuak Ashevak  lithograph 22.5 x 30 inches
I'm in Alaska visitng our daughter Oona and her family.
This will be my first American Thanksgiving.
Mitiq (Eider Duck) by Sheojuk Etidlooie  Lithograph 30 x 22.5 inches
These bird images are for you my friends.  xo
just because 

9 comments:

Olga Norris said...

Many thanks - I hope you have a lovely time. I fell in love with these birds when I first encountered them whilst living temporarily in New England. I spent a lot of my time exploring the visual culture of North America. Our current desk diary is of such prints - indeed some you show have been delighting me through the year.

susan hemann said...

such wonderful illustrations! Hope you have a wonderful American Thanksgiving

Cris Winters said...

Aren't they wonderful?! During a recent trip to Quebec City, we learned much about Inuit culture in both museums and galleries and in fact bought the same book of postcards. I can hardly bear to use them - each one is a treasure! I aspire to making such designs myself. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Vivian said...

Thank you for the beautiful and inspiring bird images Judy! Enjoy the family and the American Thanksgiving.

Idalina M.J DaSilva said...

Thank you for sharing the beautiful birds with us Judy. I particularely like the first one. Enjoy your time with your family and your first American Thanksgiving. I like your work very much.

Hazel said...

Thank you- for the birds & even more for this thoughtful beautiful place of yours. ooo

Sue McQ said...

Friend...thank you for sharing these wonderful images. Just beautiful. I hope you enjoyed your American Thanksgiving with family. Blessings.

Mary said...

What wonderful birds! Thanks for sharing inspiration and beauty.

Mo Crow said...

that snowy owl playing the concertina is magic!