Wednesday, March 29, 2017

stitching in car

 We're just back from a road trip down to Chicago and back.  I stitched all the way.
international bridge Saulte Ste. Marie Ontario and Michigan
 I love road trips with my husband.
I worked on two pieces, both stitched circles within squares.  In the darker piece, I put a narrow binding on the edges.
Mackinac Suspension Bridge that connects the upper and lower penninsulas of Michigan
We had good driving weather..
I am couching strips of sari silk to a golden coloured circle.
Not sure yet if it represents the sun or the moon.
the Chicago Skyway bridge
 The reason for our trip to Chicago was to help our daughter move from her apartment.
bisque procelain with indigo by April Martin
 I was pleased to be assigned the task of wrapping her ceramics and small sculptures.
oxidized copper ribbon sculpture by April Martin
 It was lovely to finally have such a good look at her work and to touch it.
 We brought her across the border as far as Toronto.
 The base fabric for the yellow circle is a plant dyed wool.  I love the reverse side.
rock cuts Northern Ontario
Ned and I spent a bit of time in Toronto before driving north again.  We had a visit with our two young grand daughters. It was nice to be thrown out of our routine and feel so useful.
a good marriage is one in which each partner appoints the other to be the guardian of his solitude, and thus they show each other the greatest possible trust.....this gives them the possibility of always seeing each other as a whole and before an immense sky
Rainer Maria Rilke

14 comments:

Paula Kovarik said...

A lovely story front to back. Especially the back.

Mo Crow said...

such beautiful work!

Robbie said...

Enjoy seeing any/all ofyour work!!

Caterina Giglio said...

all of it is stunning.. but the quote and that last photo.. amazing...

Amanda said...

Why is the back of stitching so alluring? I find it fascinating.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful post and I love April's art, too.

Judy Martin said...

I wonder if we are fascinated by the back of hand stitching because it is un-intentional. It is an accident almost - we do not try to control what happens and that freedom is fascinating. The marks are as if they made themselves.x

henrietta (aka ani aka zani) said...

The back of a cloth holds its own designation like asemic text without intention and meaning free to interpretation. Maybe the soulful side to the cerebral "right side," the "dark side of the moon," a hiding spot for secrets. Your quandary over yellow as the sun or the moon reminds of William Butler Yeats, Song of the Wandering
"...And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done,
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun."
And you sitting in the car "plucking" time with threads and stitch, and knots for punctuation.

henrietta (aka ani aka zani) said...

Song of the Wandering Aengus. (Full title, ooops)

Nifty Quilts said...

What a nice trip, stitching all the way. I enjoyed the artworks you showed, your daughter's included. I also really like the texture of your stitching, especially the sari strips.

jeanne hewell-chambers said...

April's artwork - sworn. Ditto for this quilt. Thought about you last week - you and your reverse applique. The only time I could get Calder Ray to go to sleep was when singing "the wheels on the bus go round and round" over and over and over. I figure I need to make him a quilt of circles. I'll call it The Wheels on Judy's Bus.

Aara said...

I am very grateful for your stitching and your writing. I read every post with close attention and each one makes a difference to me.

Judy Martin said...

Thank you for your comment Aara. I really appreciate being told that my writing makes a difference to people.

I want to take a moment here to say that I like to reply by email to the comments on the blog, but can't do it for many of you who are in a do not reply mode. If anyone knows how to change that, please do so (and let me know the secret please).
xo

Carol Wiebe said...

Stitching and car trips are meant for each other. Every stitcher needs to find a willing chauffeur to experience this pleasure.