Saturday, August 05, 2023

celebration quilt

I finished my indigo checkerboard quilt last week.  

The one I've been working on for nine years.  Completely hand pieced from muslin and commercially indigo dyed cotton, using the nine patch method.  

I took it with me on all the trips that Ned and I have made over the last decade.  Whether plane or car, I pieced it and then hand quilted it.

It nurtured me through the pandemic as I quilted it in its hoop.

In a way, it is a celebration.

I'm glad that I finished it this year - the year that Ned and I celebrate our 50 years of marriage.

It is also the year that the family cottage turns 100 years.


our sleeping cabin 

We slept under it for three nights to celebrate all those things.  

It fits the Amish four poster bed that Ned made for the annex.

the dining room

This cottage, with it's old wooden furniture and floors and crooked windows has a timeless quality. 

the middle bedroom of the main cottage

the front bedroom of the main cottage

Our daughter April thrifted this quilt top and then hand quilted it.

the living room looking towards the dining room


the living room looking towards the bedrooms

looking into the kitchen from the dining room

Puckwana cottage today


the drawing I made on our honeymoon, 1973



Celebrate life my friends.

8 comments:

Dana said...

What a classic old cabin! In this time of chintzy glitz it is so full of basic integrity. I'll bet your family loves spending time there.

Liz A said...

There's so much here to love ... I imagine the scent of this dear old cottage ... delight in the find that April's quilt was and is ... and though I will miss seeing you stitching on the checkerboard quilt, I'll look forward to "visiting" it here on your future trips to Puckwana ... last, the synchronicity of your honeymoon falling halfway between the then and now of it all feels so very "right"

Marti said...

Every stitch, a memory of togetherness and love. A celebration of life and love, family and a living, loving place, to retreat and continue the generations. What a wonderful, living place, Puckwmana, with its wood and the many loving stories contained by objects and held within each room.

Blessings to you and Ned, Judy, on your 50 years together.Each decade enriching the other. Those of us who have been married for many years, hold many story threads that speak to deep love, resilience, devotion, the understanding that life consists of ups and downs, joys and sorrows that hold and build, a life together, a family, a generation...continuity.

I have been married for 53 years and at times, it seems like only yesterday when we said we would hare our life.

Stephanie said...

The checkerboard quilt has always been one of my favorites. It has made me happy whenever it has appeared. The cabin looks like a place I would dream about living in. Congratulations on your 50 years together and all you have shared with Ned.

Hazel said...

Beautiful, lovely... quilt, cottage, heart, all of it. Congratulations to you both.

Bethany G said...

The treasured many years that you have been inside this cabin, and the precious growth of family, and time together... a blessing. Your quilts (and the additions by April) are so very much a part of this important closeness - a part of the time to rest. Enjoy the sights and sounds, the children and Ned...and the finish of each piece of cloth art that warms and comforts. Thank you for sharing.

ARTISUN said...

I so enjoyed marveling at your finished nine patch with the floating seams. Brilliant Judy! As well as a glimpse into Puckwana cottage. Thank you for sharing it all with us.

kat said...

what a heavenly place to retreat to, how lovely that all your loved people can come together to celebrate in that space