Tuesday, April 12, 2022

I keep journals

Sometimes, we think that things we say or think are important.   
They are.  

It's worth it to think and feel and remember.
Not worth a lot of money, but worth a lot of SELF.
A notebook / scrap book / is a way to keep a conversation going with the inner inner.
It's a way to keep the self open and trusting and aware.
I spend time every day on my journal.
It's not a waste of time. 
I am worth it.  
I continue learning.  
I study and take notes
 
The above sketch is of one of Louise Bourgeois' sewn head sculptures.
When I come across old family photos I save them.   

I also save things I find in old journals like this poem by Louise Rogers.


At the front of every journal, I list the books I am reading and give a wee review.

I tape the year on the spine 

Every morning I start a new chapter with the day's date.  
You can't think "my life is more important than the work"   
You have to think that the work is paramount.
Adventurous
One new thing after another
say "what do I like?"
      "what do I want?"
Find out exactly what you want in life.
To progress in life you must give up the things that you do not like.
When you go along with others you are not really living your life.
Find your way.
Happiness is being on the beam with life.
Agnes Martin  said this and I copied it and found it and taped it.
There is a two minute video of me speaking about this on my vimeo account, click here. 

6 comments:

Hazel said...

Wonderful & inspiring, a reminder of Self-worth, "They hold my ideas. They create my ideas." Thank you.

Liz A said...

what a gift to self your journals are ... I'd say I was sorry not to have kept any myself, but I found blogging and that made all the difference

and thank you for the video ... your voice and your words are so perfectly gentle, like cloth

CJ said...

I wish I had a library of my thoughts...just fabulous. Writing gives such release and growth. I need to view your other vimeos. It sends calm to me.

Margaret said...

I have 2 boxes full of journals (so far). I had 'diaries' when I was a kid but they're all gone. I started the journals of "Morning Pages" in January 1992, the year I was turning 40. I've never stopped since. There are some rage-filled ones in the Lost Decade, when my late DH was dying of Type 1 Diabetes. But there are joyful ones too. Some with my own poetry, some with quotations that inspire me (lots of Madeleine L'Engle)...the occasional sketch. But mostly handwriting -- cursive -- two or three pages almost every day. My kids will have a time of it to read them when I'm gone...

Claudine said...

Finally, isn't this making life and work one, one and only space/time? Reading you is a treasure, and the little girl's smile at the end, a gift for the day :-) Thank you!

Nancy said...

Judy~ What a treasure you are, these journals are. Anything I wrote in the past, is long gone, but I can say I really like the way you collect, draw, write...all of it capturing that moment in time. Fascinating.
In my high school journals, I started "Dear Self" - I'm not even sure what that meant to me then 🙂