Wednesday, October 03, 2018

journal work

 
my journals

I have a morning practice of reflection
I use hard covered journals to keep my thoughts and drawings

They've built up since 1985, the year I started writing in them.
The year my 3rd child was born.
The year of my first solo exhibition.
I re-read them.
I keep them in book shelves in my home studio.
Since we moved to Manitoulin 26 years ago, I began to deal with them as an art material.

I made party-fabric quilt tops paper-pieced with used journal papers (example here)
I wrapped entire journals with cloth, sometimes sealing them further with paint (see below)
Now I am cutting the pages into spiral strips to stitch to linen or wool bases (see above)
Handling the journals and re-reading them slowly is taking me on a journey inwards to self.
Each day I find that I know myself better.

It is surprising how many notes I've taken over the years while reading about art.
I copy what still resonates into my current journal.
I'm treating the journal from the year I turned 40 to gold paint and hand stitch. (above)
Maybe I'll do something with the ones I kept when I turned 50 and 60.
Maybe I will stop working with my journals someday.
not.

3 comments:

Val Hearder said...

Over the past year I start out each morning reading old journals and especially old studio notebooks. It is so comforting,reminding and supportive. I wish I'd keep more journals and years went by and I didn't write... and yet I'm so enriched by what I've got. They're a trail of breadcrumbs in the deep dark woods.

Mo Crow said...

(((Judy))) you are so brave!

Sue McQ said...

Never stop! History in the making and preserved in such a wonderful way. Blessings.