Monday, November 12, 2007

Ayako Miyawaki



I am finally returning a book that Valerie Hearder loaned to me in 2004. I have really enjoyed looking at the natural applique designs of the artist, Ayako Miyawaki, and would like to share a few of them here. All images in this post are by Ayako Miyawaki and were created post WW II.

The artist says: My husband was a teacher, and spent most of his free time painting. During vacations he attached a notice which read “no visitors allowed” to the door of his studio. I learned many things from his attitude.

In addition, my mother-in-law taught me to value a thing or the thing-in-itself. It was only natural, then, that I should think of making something from old clothes and rags, as I was living in such an environment.

Applique works were popular before this time, but they usuallly were made by using pattern papers or by copying design motifs out of pattern books. I decided to create my own designs modeled after objects I observed in nature. This resolution forced me to invent my own compositions and techniques, a source of pleasure as well as anxiety!


Valerie's excellent new book, Points of View, has taken the place of Ayako's on my book shelf.

3 comments:

Deb Lacativa said...

I love these - am reminded of the mental benefits of handwork and of a piece that's languished for a while, waiting for me to sit down and take a breath.

Anonymous said...

this was good

Anonymous said...

i know right