Saturday, August 26, 2006

The well would often go dry

I've been reading about Paul Cezanne, considered to be the most significant 19th century painter. He sought to show a world in his paintings that was similar but also quite distinct from the real world. He discovered that the eye is able to understand the image even when traditional one point perspective is absent. Instead, everything is on the surface of the picture and colour planes seem to slide under each other. This new kind of reality is "the reality of the painting".

1 comment:

Jackie said...

HI Judy;

Congratulations on your new grandchild. Is this your first? And a trip to Alaska, sounds wonderful. I just created my own blog, it is called Jackie's World... I am still new at all of this, but will try it.
I am wondering if you are still going ahead with that quilting class you mentioned at the onset of summer?
Jackie