Tuesday, August 11, 2015

time and accident

She told me that I don't need to completely cover the surface and that she notices the marks more if there are fewer of them.
I told her that my work is about time and accident and that both sides are the right side.
I want to communicate time spent and the unintended beauty of nature and human marks.
I told her that I want my viewer to look at my work and understand the thoughtful solitude that goes into the production of it.
There is a feeling of being alone with one's own meditative self.
This is my subject and what I hope to communicate.
"Are your memories coming to you or are you going to them?
If you are going to them then you are wasting time.
Nostalgia is not productive.
If they are coming to you,
they are the seeds for sculpture."  Louise Bourgeois

13 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Very cool post!

Anonymous said...

thank you for the words of " Louise Bourgeois "
greets M.

Olga Norris said...

I have just finished reading a splendid book on LB's Cells, and so this post is particularly apposite.

Olann - Wolle und mehr said...

True. I like memories but never thought about from this site.
Birgit

Mo Crow said...

ah I love this one so much Judy it's a ladder to the Moon!

Nifty Quilts said...

You have communicated your message very well.

Karen Thiessen said...

Hmmm. Spacing my marks (stitches, patterns, etc.) is a new challenge that I am playing with. Like your's, my work is about density. It's an interesting shift.

Anonymous said...

This quote and your stitches… I so appreciate the poignant truths you share…how you are able to get to the root of things

henrietta zielinski said...

Your words, "thoughtful solitude," echoes to me Marianne Moore's, "the cure for loneliness is solitude," and how the rings might be reflection pools. Beautiful post.

Heather Hutchinson said...

~ beautiful, relaxing post ~

jeanne hewell-chambers said...

"I want to communicate time spent and the unintended beauty of nature and human marks." You do. You really, really do. x

Simone de Klerk said...

Your work and work are very inspiring for me!

Penny Berens said...

Dear Judy, Your stitchings are poetry straight from the heart.