Thursday, October 03, 2013

Denyse Schmidt

what a bunch of squares
I still remember being bowled over by the above quilt in a 1999 Martha Stewart magazine. 
drunk love two tone
I was on the ferry, coming home to Manitoulin.  This work, rooted deeply within the quilt tradition but fresher and simpler,  connected with my own aesthetic.   
drunk love in a log cabin

run and fall

Denyse Schmidt remains one of the most inspirational leaders of the modern quilt movement.
mental blocks
Key to her process is the use of a design wall.  This image of Denyse working is from here

roots

hope as the anchor of the soul #3 mount Lebanon series

four crosses, santa fe series

The quilts in this post are all from Denyse Schmidt's own website.
painted lady Denver series
hope as the anchor of the soul #1

Above image of the artist teaching with a pin wall is from here. I so agree about pin walls.  Being able to look at your work and respond to it is the most important thing when making improvisational quilts. 

"If you don't have a whole wall to dedicate to your quilting, wrap a large foam-core panel with flannel instead."  Denyse Schmidt

4 comments:

Jill said...

that is interesting...I felt the same way when I first saw that 'what a bunch of squares' and still have that MS issue with the quilt in it. : )

Karen Thiessen said...

I love love love my flannel covered homosote "pin" walls! I put works in progress up, then hop on my exercise bike and take a long look.

jeanne hewell-chambers said...

i drool as i look at any design wall. we live in what was once a fishing shack - quite small, and ceilings so low i can't hang any of my work up to see what it looks like when i'm finished. i just stitch on a wing and a prayer.

Judy Martin said...

Putting my work up and standing back from it is the most important thing I do when I am in the process of creating constructed textiles. I do not use patterns, and even if I did, value of colour makes a remarkable difference and can not really be predicted. It's like I'm painting with the fabric. It is impossible to get things right when you are close to the work. Take frequent breaks from stitching, and pin it up. That's my motherly advice.

And also, follow Denyse's advice. If you don't have a pin wall - then make one out of foam core.

enough said for now on this subject.
xx