Wednesday, July 17, 2013

finishing

There remains a lot of finishing work for the stitched journal, Not to Know, but To Go On. 
The 10 to 14 days documented in thread are dated with chain stitch embroidery on the back of each panel.
Then the panels need to be stitched together.  I am using cotton tape.
Then I finish with hem stitch from the front to make a seamless join.
Once two panels are stitched together, I reach for another set of two.
Most of these panels are for the years 2012 and 2013, displayed here in sets of two.
In this work I am referencing my cultural heritage. The stitched panels resemble woven Finnish rag rugs.  Thank you Nina Marie for invitation to off the wall Friday.


14 comments:

Margaret Cooter said...

Simple richness. Gorgeous.

Ms. said...

Beyond the object itself, which is beautiful, what it represents, those days, weeks, months and years of your real life being lived a stitch at a time, is simply magnificent. That last shot with the boat ready for another journey is terrific too.

Karen Thiessen said...

I love how you are referencing your cultural heritage in your own way, with your own textile language.

Nina Marie said...

Ohhh Judy - what an accomplishment. Its truly - truly lovely. I would love for you to share this post on my Off the Wall Friday on my blog. Yours is a great example why its important that hand stitching has made such a big come back!

quilthexle said...

This is so beautiful - thanks for sharing, I'm glad Nina Marie invited you over !!

The Inside Stori said...

I'm in awe.....thank you for sharing!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Judy. Rag rugs came to my mind as well. Marvelous project. The juxtaposition of the many colors is very pleasing and the boat photo is lovely.
best, nadia

Quilter Beth said...

Love this project. I'd love to learn this technique. Do you have a tutorial? It does remind me of rag rugs too. The colors are fabulous.

Penny Berens said...

Simply amazing.

Quilt Rat said...

Love all that texture! Wonderful to see all those panels.

Ellen Parrott said...

Very beautiful. Seemingly simple and complex at the same time.

Sherri said...

So many hours of work you've done! There is something so soothing about seeing it all laid out!

mansuetude said...

Beautiful images, scrolling down towards the boat, open and available for your next adventure. Time made visible.

I don't know many women who stand on their poetry! :)
Love your pun in the title Finishing. (And your toe nail polish too)

Blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

yikes...i am so sick of everyone taking pictures of their feet with their projects! this fad need to die...and have you seen a podiatrist for those hammertoes? seriously!